Sign in to follow this  
Philmo

Bloody Coolant Leak!

Also just a note if your headlight screws end up rounding off dont worry as the headlights dont need to come off as they will come off with the slam panel. As me and Kate discovered :mad2:

Thanks for that reminder Jon

Those 2 pesky screws are ones I regularly dose, after having to drill out VAG-hag's, after about 9 years of neglect [in my ownership!]

the bumper is easy enough to lift one your own without scratching it etc - just a bit awkward.

no doubt you'll bein safe hands with Kip there to give you a hand.

if you like give me a PM and i'll drop you my phone number in case you need any emergency advice while doing the job! sure you'll be fine though - it's a very easy job :D

Thanks for that reminder Jon

Those 2 pesky screws are ones I regularly dose, after having to drill out VAG-hag's, after about 9 years of neglect [in my ownership!]

True story!! :lol:

Agree on the radiator quality comments. Only use a VAG one if possible, which is distinguishable from lesser items by a white "Denso Marston" sticker a few inches to the left of the outlet elbow :D

I don't think they're £200 any more. I paid £148 for mine from a local dealer a few months ago. The original lasted 175K miles which surprise, surprise, split where yours did. It used to emit steam from the core permanently, even when fully up to temp.

I like the word "embrittlement" :lol:

Interestingly, they ordered the wrong rad for me initially, but what i received was kind of cool as it was special radiator for cold climates (not as tall) and didn't have the top elbow, so it was perfect for forced induction with short intakes and chargecoolers :salute:

I drilled the screws out of Kates headlights and replaced with stainless steel! Dont know if anyone else does this when doing a job on their corrado i always mutter to myself "Whos idea was it to put that there" or as said while trying to take the drivers door handle off "Doh its a reverse threaded screw"!!

I drilled the screws out of Kates headlights and replaced with stainless steel! Dont know if anyone else does this when doing a job on their corrado i always mutter to myself "Whos idea was it to put that there" or as said while trying to take the drivers door handle off "Doh its a reverse threaded screw"!!

Indeed we do replace with s/s! [and slap the waxoyl about]

We have "BAPP" in Barnsley who do a nice line in s/s fastenings - but are we creating a corrosion time bomb adding s/s to a lower grade body?

Any metalurgists out there?

We have "BAPP" in Barnsley who do a nice line in s/s fastenings - but are we creating a corrosion time bomb adding s/s to a lower grade body?

:wave:

Can't remember any of it now though. :(

:wave:

Can't remember any of it now though. :(

So that's how you got into "metalled roads"? :lol: :lol:

Phil, Give me a call around 11am on Sunday as I will most certainly forget to call you :roll:

Phil, Give me a call around 11am on Sunday as I will most certainly forget to call you :roll:

Will do mate - got plenty of coffee in!

Phil, as said dont bother with aftermarket types as the quality is no where near as good. I looked at one of these at DG earlier in the year and you can see the difference in quality is dramatic.

I still have my old one which was perfect I only replaced as a precaution so if you wanna try that you are welcome, £30 to you and i'll help you take the front end off too, its almost childs play and have done it many many times :roll: :lol:

Let me know either way buddy :wink:

hi kip

if phil doesn't take ur old rad are u open 2 offers?

I need 2 order 1 but am waiting for a new credit card :~

g0ldf1ng3r

I note "87 jetta 16v" has one available. :)

g0ldf1ng3r

I note "87 jetta 16v" has one available. :)

thanks phil i will check it out, very gentlmanly of you to mention it :)

:lol: No. Fork knows how I ended up in this role. Getting more interesting though... :)

:lol: No. Fork knows how I ended up in this role. Getting more interesting though... :)

Dare I ask : "Will all be revealed?" :lol: :lol: :shrug:

Just had a most productive afternoon with Kip & Judith, leaving my unfortunate Corryn in severe disarray, many front end bits in need of refurb before re-assembly. Lots of s/s screws etc to get in. Gobsmacked as to how much better access you get with bumper and slam panel removal. Corryn's recovery & improvement well on-course. Photos to come.

Watching Kip in action - Robo-mechanic! With senior operating nurse Judith in support! :notworthy: :clap:

:lol: indeed, always a pleasure Phil, just make sure you get all the bits as quick as otherwise i'd hate to leave it all for you to put back together before i go away :?

Catch you soon & any problems just call :wink:

c case of what? gin/ scotch?? :lol:

Looked like red wine to me mate :wink: