Sign in to follow this  
tamthebam16v

kr running problem

i have a1.8 16v kr engine and it will start nobother hot or cold and tick over on four ok but when you go to rev it it sounds like its running on three and i put brand new sparkplugs in it did no miles only ticking over and little reving max running 3 hours and they came out all sooty anyone had this problem if so how do i fix it cheers, heres a vid

th_golfruning.jpg[flash=] [youtube:rjkruvk6][/youtube:rjkruvk6]

As a next step I would check the plug leads to make sure they are not failing under load, followed by checking the distributer, rotor arm and cap for dirty /worn contacts or, as sometimes happens oil leaking through tinto the didtributer body. If you can get someone to hold the engine at revs where it missing and remove the leads one at a time to see if you can track down which cylinder is misfiring. If you find it swap leads to see if the problem follows the lead, if not, swap a plug and ditto. In a word, try to isolate the fault and diagnose from there.

worth checking coil is within specs and hall sender, ideally swap with a known good one to check with it running before splashing out on new parts.

Is all the timing set up correctly?

Air filter ok?

When was the fuel filter changed?

I doubt it's fuelling, but does it run OK driving at full throttle?

Injector spray pattern and fuel delivery rates and pressures are really last things on the list to check.

worth checking coil is within specs and hall sender, ideally swap with a known good one to check with it running before splashing out on new parts.

Is all the timing set up correctly?

Air filter ok?

When was the fuel filter changed?

I doubt it's fuelling, but does it run OK driving at full throttle?

Injector spray pattern and fuel delivery rates and pressures are really last things on the list to check.

car struggles to drive can hardly pull away??

car is still the same was running fine, i drove it 50 yards at 5mph on rough ground and thats when she started running rough nothing was knocked off or moved ??what could it be ??? as some times she will rev fine on the spot then will only rev to 1.5k with my foot on the floor ?? :epicfail: :epicfail: help :help:

sounds like a problem with the leads as this happened to ryan_16v corrado whilest i drove it once

try unplugging the leads one at a time and reving it to isolate the problem

it worked for me at the time

i have changed the leads to n8 and it made no difference new cap + rotor arm + plugs , i took out the plugs and they where black with soot and the car has done no miles with them in just running and reving:shrug: its doing ma nut

like i said start at the airfilter end and remove 1 lead at a time and that way you will be able to find out which piston is causing the problem

then you can try different changing things and you will know which piston is giving you a problem

Hi,

Have you checked the plate that controls the air intake on the fuel metering side of the air box. And the butterfly valve on the throttle body?

Perhaps one of these is sticking, restricting the air into the cylinder chambers, in turn sending your combustion into a rich state and blacking up those sparkers.

was at it today and she started fine as usual but after 5 min of running she started running rough when reved, did the fuel test with the injectors out and hardly any fuel coming out so the fuel presure goes down when she heats up still runs on four when idling but when reved sounds like running on three ?? :cuckoo: do you think it could be the wur at fault?? as :scratch: its a kr 1.8 16v 1988 out of mk2 gti in a mk1 help as im goin off ma head and no job now so trying to fix or get down to the cause of the problem

you really need to check the fuel delivery rates and system pressure, I can give you some more detailed info of how to check things if you give me an e-mail address via pm.

It's not an aux air valve, I think vagcat have it listed as the "deceleration cut-off valve"

Edit: Number 18 on the attached, not number 1 which most people think it is (listed as "vacuum switch")