marshole82

Changing Switch LED Colours

Early 16v Rado - looking to replace the LEDs in all my switches from green to red - quite certain all i need to do (simple obviously :help: ) is remove the switch in question, un-solder the old LED and replace with the new one.

anyone know what LEDs i need? don't want to get the wrong ones from the wrong place...

3mm?

Here in Sweden I can buy some LED that are namned Normal Light and I think that they would work or me, just dont grab ultra bright or something like that.

It doesnt need to be difficult. Just ask your local electronic store and ask about LED's.

You'll need 3mm ones. They'll also need to be 12V ones apart from the the window switches. Instead of 12v ones you can use the normal ones plus resistors but it gets a bit tight in some switches. I used Ebay, but Maplin also do them. If you can get diffuse ones, they spread the light more like the bulbs. Alternatively you can sand the top of normal domes ones flat and that diffuses the light slightly.

The illumination in the switches (apart from the window ones) are bulbs rather than LED's. Obviously unlike bulbs the LED's can only be used one way round, so you'll need to make sure they are the right way round.

A few people have done this so have a search and you'll get plenty of tips.

so will 3mm LEDs work? or do i need bulbs? why do the window switch ones need to be different?

3mm leds will work, but as mentioend they need to be fitted the right way round. The window switches had LED's in from the start (not bulbs) and they were rated at approx 2-3V. If you use 12v ones in these they wont work. The window ones are different as far as I am aware as they are non-dimmable on the headlight dimmer circuit. Basically they run of a different feed.

Actually have a read through here - some of it has been covered before....

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17068&hilit=window+switch+led&start=60

There are a few other threads on it as well.

I got 3000mcd red 3mm leds and 470ohm resistors, just solder and look happy :)

The hardest part isnt to get it to work, it is to get the led to fit!!! I have a hard time to make them fit in the buttons :cuckoo: :mad2: