Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

Loud clunking and movement in short driveshaft.

Hi all, my VR6 was running great, just passed it's MoT the other week and everything was great until today. I've got a very heavy clunking when on the power and turning to the right. There are no clunks or noise when not on the power and none on full lock forwards or backwards.

I had the same problem in the past when going to the left on the power and it turned out to be an almost siezed inner CV joint on the long shaft. I replaced the inner and out CV joints on the long shaft (driver's side) and the problem went away.

So, my first thought this time was that it must be the other inner CV joint that I didn't replace. It's dark now and I've not been able to get under it, but I did reach down and I'm a bit worried now. There seems to be a fair bit of movement on the short shaft (passenger side), between the flange that the inner CV joint bolts on to and the gearbox. I think there's also play between the driveshaft and the inner CV joint, but it's hard to say in the dark and reaching down from the top.

I'm worried that my differential is maybe worn allowing that whole end of the driveshaft to move around. Is this a possibility? There's no grinding or whining in normal straight line use or when coming off the power and everything is very smooth and running nicely, even still after these clunks. But just today I started getting this really loud clunk on applying the power while turning right (it first happened coming out a roundabout).

Should there be up and down play between the flange shaft (I think it's called that) and the housing? I don't know if I'm imagining it, but I'm thinking it looks like it's sagging a bit compared to flange for the other shaft.

If it is the differential packing in, what's involved in fixing that? I have no problem with replacing the CV joints as I've done the other side but I've never touched a gearbox or a differential before.

I had a similar problem, mainly clunking when setting off quickly. It was the gearbox mount that was totally knackere3d. Worth a look.

Sounds like a CV to be honest, especially if you already just did the other side. Check the gearbox mount first though.

When you herck the shaft about to get the movement, do it from above and see if there's any movement on the flange the shaft bolts up to - if there is then it's more likely to be gearbox related rather than CV or mounts.

I'd err on CVs first though.

Thanks for the replies. I know what the problem is now.

I noticed that I was also getting a noise hitting certain bumps in the road (it's impossible to avoid ALL potholes in Glasgow. You have to choose the least bad one.) and crucially when touching steep slopes at an angle.

So, I guessed that my anti-roll bar link had snapped. I got the wheel off yesterday and that's indeed what has happened. The driver's side ARB link has snapped. This has allowed the free end to touch the outer CV joint when cornering to the right, because the weight lifts off but the ARB is not pulled down with the wishbone.

Unfortunately it has torn off the large CV boot clip and there's been minor grease leakage. It doesn't look like the boot is ripped, but I'm buying a boot kit anyway, partly for the clip, but also in case I need the boot too.

Anybody know where to buy just the clip, other than the dealer? I mean the proper ones that require the compression tool rather than just a jubilee clip.