Sign in to follow this  
Matt DDK

VR6 Antifreeze

Hi

I'm going to change the radiator on my VR6 at the weekend. I've purchased a genuine rad at £179 inc the VAT. The parts dept recommended that I use 3 litres of G12. Is this enough and do you advise doing anything else other than flushing out whilst apart?

Thanks

Matt

as Davidwort has said, use some distilled water - carplan 51p per litre from Tescos! Also, flush the cooling system out rally thoughly - if you can, disconnect one hose for the heater matrix and stick a hosepipe in there until it runs nice and clean. Also, flush the block as much as possible from the top hose using warm water. Take the thermostat housing out, replace the stat and seals if you like (or clean the stat with vinegar), clean up any muck around there, flush teh pipes and reassemble. If you have time, take the water pump out and clean this with vinegar too. Then refit, use your new rad and enjoy your nice cool running VR!

basically because this stop the hard water salts (calcium carbonate and Calcium hydroxide) being deposited in your rad and cooling system. MEG in te coolant does also act as an inhibitor but using deionised means theres nothing there in the first place. Just like the crud that sits on your kettle heatig element. You dont want that in your system. Might need calgon otherwise :)

Thanks Guys for the info, I hadn't thought about using distilled water but it def makes sense. You say to use a 60/40 mix but being new to Corrados how much water do they hold?

Thanks

Matt