Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

STRONG PETROL SMELL - HELP!

Hey all,

Having had my car back for less than a week I was driving home today and noticed a smell of petrol inside the car. Now I have got used to this in town as it is probably the block breather coming off the rocker cover. But as I drove home the smell got stronger and stronger until I couldnt stand it any more. I stopped and popped the bonnet but couldn't see anything obvious. I drove home worrried and v.slowly and decided to take the Mk2 to work tonight. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas as to what the problem / solution might be? I love driving my car but am not happy driving with such a strong smell of petrol especially as it appears to be coming from under the bonnet..,this could easily spell disaster if petrol vapour or even liquid is somewhere it shouldn't be.

Cheers

BigTartanG60

BigtartanG60,

I can pretty much guarantee it is the fuel rail that is the cause. Turn the ignition on when the car is cold so the pump primes. Then pop the bonnet and check both ends of the fuel rail where the rubber pipes connect. I bet you any money one end will be leaking fuel, might not look much but that is the cause. This problem is a very dangerous one on digifant cars.

Hope that helps mate

J

Mr Renshaw is very correct. The feed and return pipes on the left of the engine bay and the fuel temp switch on the right side. The FPR could leak too, where it mounts to the rail. They might just want the clips tightening or replacing. Or the hose could be perished and need cutting back a little bit.

Gavin

It'll be the black fuel rail hoses as the chaps above have mentioned, or, as in my case, it'll be the fuel vent hose that goes into the carbon canister.

Under the brake servo there is a silver foil wrap. Undo it and you'll see the 3 fuel tank hoses. The clear one is the vent hose. Mine had become porous so I replaced that section of pipe and no more fuel smells.

K

I had the same problem Struan, the feed pipe will more than likely be cracked as its quite brittle.

Its very easy to replace. When you pop the bonnet you may also notice a lot of smoke around the left hand side of the engine bay from the petrol when it drips onto the engine.

Hope you get it sorted ok

DM

Cheers for a ll the help guys, it was a leak from where the main fuel feed pipe joins onto the fuel rail, rubber persihed at end so cut off 0.5 inch, and replaced jubillee clip, tightened and all well,

Nice

BigTartanG60