Sign in to follow this  
Jon_vr6

Alternator replacement on VR6

How easy is it to replace the alternator on a VR, Kates VR battery light flashes when she puts her foot down and its a new battery so the only over thing is the battery. Im thinking easiest way front end off then im stuck as of what to do next do i have to let the tension of the serpentine belt to allow removal of the old alternator?? How? and is it just a case of swapping it to the new one plugging it in and thats it?? any help appriciated

Cheers

Jon

Front end off is required. Detension the belt, and there are 2 bolts holding the alternator on. There's one wire to unbolt and one plug to remove.

To release the tension on the belt you need an m8 x 80 bolt (I think...) and screw it into the threaded hole in the top of the tensioner. A drive shaft bolt will work.

Do i just screw that bolt into the tensioner all the way in or just enought to allow the alternator to be removed?

And is it it just a case of swapping it for new one and then start and run engine and all should be fine??

Cheers

Jon

Also once ive screwed the bolt in do i just leave that bolt in the tensioner and then to tension the belt up again unscrew the bolt and that will tension it up again??

Enough to remove the belt. Then leave it in.

You might need to remove the tensioner to get at the 2 bolts that hold the alt on. it's just 3x 13mm bolts.

The alternator will be hard to remove, but the new one will be loose, until you do the bolts up, these pull the mountings tight up against the bracket.

Yeah.

Bolts should be fine, you might want to get a new pair of nuts for the wire that connects to the alternator. One is 13mm and the other is 8 or 6 or something.

You might get a new alternator with no pulley, if this is the case, take the new and old ones to a garage and get them to swap the pulley over.

I got a new bosch unit for £150 something plus VAT from ECP.

It depends. They fitted either Valeo or Bosch units, in 70, 90 or 120 amps. All different prices.

I think 90A Valeo is the most expensive, at £200 + VAT, hence getting the Bosch unit.

Could also consider an alternator refurb... a cheaper and equally viable option? :) There's a place down here that Tempest used who would do mail order and it came in at well under £100...

Is the standard one 90A?? is there any advantage in getting a 120A one??

Also is a VW one on an exchange basis or not??

It depends. I think heated leather got 90A, air con got 120A, standard 70A. But could be wrong. All suppliers are on exchange basis.

It's not a bad job to do. :)

so do i have to remove the old one first and then get the new one or can i get hold of the new one first replace it and bring the old one in at a later date??

I'm sure when I did mine I just jacked the engine up a few inches and pulled it out from inside, or maybe through the headlight hole. I certainly didn't have to take the front end off :D

:) Cool.

I did mine before I put the front end on as part of the rebuild, so wasn't sure if there was space to slide it out.

I had to jack the engine up on my Mk3 Golf as you can't get the lower bolt out for the chassis leg, not sure if the Corrado is the same :confused4: