Sign in to follow this  
mariojoshi

Does LATE (widetrack) suspension fit EARLY Corrados?

As above guys and gals!

Based on the fact that you can often only buy one coilover or suspension kit for the Corrado - I'd say YES.

However, I've got some dampers that I'm selling that appear to have different part numbers for different cars - I.E - the G60 is listed as having the basic axle and therefore has a different P/N to the VR6 which has the plus axle.

The fitting, as far as I can tell is no different between all Corrados?

Found a lot of interesting stuff using the search - but couldn't find this answer out!

hey pal, the rear shockers are different due to having different top mounts (certainly on the earlier ones anyway - unsure about the later valvers etc.

also the front shockers are probably different (uncertain on this) due to the increased engine weight of the vr6 and the extra damping forces required (unsure about the springs.

as for the shells - afaik, all shells were the same early-to-late, the only differences in the running gear was the different lower arms and anti-roll-bar on the vr's and associated gubbins (again, unsure about newer valvers), also i think the wings were different early-to-late to accomodate the extra "wideness!"

the bumpers are obviously different early-to-late, not sure if this was to accomodate for the extra width or to bring them a bit more up-to-date with the flush front indicators/fogs. not sure if an early bumper would work with late wings and vice versa; though i'm sure there's someone on here who can answer that for you...

don't know about the rear beams, think all corrado rear beams are the same, just with different brackets etc for the bias valve and gubbins. BUT, i'm really not certain on that one, you're better off getting definitive advice from someone who knows about that (try toad)...

Thanks Pete -

Your points are definitely valid, but...... if what we know is right (VR being heavy etc) why is there often only ONE kit for a Corrado (various manufacturers!)

The springs on this setup are Eibach pros - which are NOT vr specific - so only the damping could be different?!

The cars have a "basic axle" and a "plus axle" but I was unsure if the physical fittings were different - Maybe the rears won't fit then?

The guy from Bilstien didn't know either, but his mate at Eibach up the road (with a Corrado) might, so I'm calling back tomorrow!

Cheers for your reply :)

Hope things are well with you buddy.

Thanks Pete -

Your points are definitely valid, but...... if what we know is right (VR being heavy etc) why is there often only ONE kit for a Corrado (various manufacturers!)

The springs on this setup are Eibach pros - which are NOT vr specific - so only the damping could be different?!

The cars have a "basic axle" and a "plus axle" but I was unsure if the physical fittings were different - Maybe the rears won't fit then?

The guy from Bilstien didn't know either, but his mate at Eibach up the road (with a Corrado) might, so I'm calling back tomorrow!

Cheers for your reply :)

Hope things are well with you buddy.

off topic but, where did you ring? i used to work next door (leicester) and the bilstien bloke had the corrado, mint vr6. and the eibach bloke had a 4x4 pimp truck thing?

im not 100% but i think the set up is similar to that on a mk3 golf vr6, we swapped the enitre axles with brakes, suspension dampers etc into a mk2 golf 1.3 so i assume that it would go.

wheels had extra poke as the axles are wider but just made it look better in my opinion.

I rang Bilstien UK in Leicester I think!...... Simon was the chap.

He said that the guy with the Corrado works up the road at Eibach now, so maybe he used to work there?

I agree that it should probably fit - I just really don't want to sell something on the basis that it "should"

yeah i can understand that, but im struggling to find a reason why you couldnt make it fit.

corrados are a bit of a mk2/mk3 golf mongrel when you start looking in to it.

ill have to have a nosey past and see what the deal is then, cottage lane, braugton astley is where they are

The guys at Bilstien seem to think that the problem is a top mount changeover and possible issues with the top of the struts not working with early top mounts.

I seem to recall a lot of people using late top mounts anyway - so I'm not sure.

Regardless - I just sold the kit to someone with a VR6 - so I don't have to worry any more.

Still curious mind! ;)

If you're talking about just the struts then yes, they fit fine. I just did it this evening, using VR6 struts with early top mounts. The strut is an inch taller, but the bump stop seems to be a little shorter to compensate.

If you're talking about just the struts then yes, they fit fine. I just did it this evening, using VR6 struts with early top mounts. The strut is an inch taller, but the bump stop seems to be a little shorter to compensate.

does that man we'll be seeing an update on your build any time soon Mikki? :norty:

In a curiously unrelated way, yes! I have 3 full weeks off over xmas, so I will be working down the road in the tractor workshop and building the rear subframe :D I actually fitted the VR6 struts and 16V hubs on the mk2 daily, but the principle applies equally to early 'rados.

The V8 is getting custom Koni struts all round, but won't be doing a lot on that until I finish both subframes. I do still need another pair of front Koni's though if anyone has any kicking about for cheap ;)