Sign in to follow this  
fredfelcher

Checking a gearbox with and LSD

Hi guys, need a little help here.

I've bought an 02A with a Peloquin (used) which was APPARENTLY working perfectly well before the guy sold it to me. I trust him not to be lying...

My question is, should the driveshaft cups be 'turnable' by hand - they aren't and sound as though there is an obstruction (as if it's in gear).

I've tried all the positions of the shifter tower and it seems to be the same. My questions are:

- can you turn the cups by hand when it's in neutral or does it take more torque?

- how do I know what position is neutral - I can't find any pictures of the shifter tower position for neutral on the net.

I need to know before I swap my existing gearbox (without LSD) because I obviously don't want to put in a jammed gearbox - it's going to be hard work enough as it is!!!

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

I suspect you'd need a fair amount of mechanical advantage to turn the cups anyway?? Is there any way you can put two driveshaft bolts in place and use a breaker bar to turn the cups?

the diff without load will work as a normal diff once there is no load on the lsd so the best way to tell is to pull out one of the drive flanges,the centre will be solid besides a small hole,thats a peloquin lsd,if you see a rod running accross its a stock diff.

James speaks the truth! by far the easiest way would be to pull one of the flanges off, then you'll know for sure.

if you're in any doubt, then take a piccie and post it up on here so we can tell you.

(thread hijack - nice sig by the way James :D )

@ Mrbeige

Thanks, I was thinking I'm probably not strong enough to turn it just with my hands; better get the breaker bar out then

@CorradoVR6-Turbo and pete_griff

Cheers for that, will have a look inside just to be sure. I assume that the drive flange should still turn though, so presumably I'm just being to weedy by hand?

Cheers gents, suppose I thought have thought of it myself... but that's partly what the forum's for isn't it - helping a thicko like me! :nuts:

Both flanges turn smoothly with a bar across for leverage.

Thanks again for taking the time to post! :salute: