James.

Scotts of Sloane Square "Carry on" Campaign

Nice update James. With nearly 11 and 9 year olds myself the last two pictures remind how fast time goes by. 

20 hours ago, James. said:

How time flies.

We wen't to a friends birthday/bbq/England party yesterday. and when leaving had a young chap taking it's picture and wanting to know all about it. He even filmed us as we drove off. A positive experience, buoyed enough to share on here.

Here's ten months of ups and downs with the car since the update last year.

ECU

After having the ECU repaired, we went away in October, only to be faced with a non start issue upon return. I'd been tightening up a loose power steering clamp and assumed the I'd disturbed a wire/connector as all was running tickets boo two weeks before.

No such luck. After doing all the basic checks, it transpires that the ECU had cooked itself again and burnt a hole through the earth track. And as seeing as it was less than 12 months since the repair I thought I'd send it back...

Again, no such luck. The company I used before had ceased trading.

Now what to do. I really was at allow ebb, especially after the trouble and pain I had with the last one.

Hopped on to ebay with a slim hope of finding a reasonable priced ECU, but alas, yes there was one for £150. Paid the money and received the unit a few days later.

Wiring checked and installed to an immediate start up. Hurrah !

Oil cap

When I built up and installed the engine, I'd used a NOS oil filter that I'd had since about 09. Thing is now, the oil filter cap had a crack in it and was getting bigger and literally pouring oil out of the side.

The original cap was no longer available, so ended up having to use the later cap (both the same part number as is the filter), but as it was a different internal design, had to change the filter for the later type as well. Something to observe should you ever be in the same situation (Later cap and filter now !).

Roof lining

The black parachute repair above my head didn't last long so will have to try again with stronger adhesive.

The sunroof mod/fix is still working a treat, so can recommend that though (see previous posts).

Leavers do

I've been using the car whenever and wherever I can, but the real important date was my sons high school leavers do last week. He'd been looking forward using the car for this purpose all year. And even though iIt needs some tidying of the bodywork (which is booked in for the end of September) We took it out for all to see and ask "What's that VW ?'

It doesn't feel like five minutes (actually about five years) since we were in a freezing cold garage, wire wheeling and painting the engine block 🙂.

Next:

MOT in a couple of weeks. Brakes could do with a re-bleed first as they're a little soft.

Gear linkage bush replacement. May go for the uprated set up if I can't find a replacement bush kit.

Middle section has a little blow (the connector has been "pinched" and has a small gap). Would like a full new system, but the current ones good and more importantly quiet (something that can't be said about the 8v).

But all that has to wait until the bodyshop have finished with it.

Jobs for the cold months then... just as before 😉

PHOTO-2024-06-29-18-49-40.jpg

Screenshot_2024-07-01_at_13_47_39.png

Will you be going to Tatton Park?

what are the sumptuous of blown ecu? Cranks, shows some signs of life on the dash (RPMs), then fades away?

mine won’t start, changed the crank sensor twice the got fed up and left it there 😜 

never failed y to o start in 13 years prior to this

No Tatton this year. And to be honest I’m not a huge fan of car shows. May try and get to a few further afield next year though, if for no other reason than I sorely need an excuse for leaving the house at times.

Yes, car turns over but no start and no rpms. Does give the same symptom of a faulty crank sensor but you won’t hear the fuel pump and/or relay.

Check the ecu relay (30). They’re a known weak spot (but I’m sure you know this).

Most ECU’s seem to be available except for the very early (dizzy) ones. I even tried to buy another this morning, but the guy had got the pre-fix wrong on the listing 🙁.

Was toying with an aftermarket ecu, but that’s for another day now.

You haven’t got the parts for o2a to o2j tower/linkage swap have you ? (Seems like I may be better off with this option than a re-build kit).

Edited by James.

16 minutes ago, Dox said:

I have, but fla has first refusal if I decide to sell

Calling seconds 🙋🏼‍♂️