Sign in to follow this  
Bullfinch

Race Circuit Driving Experiences

I'm looking at treating myself to one of those race circuit driving experiences. The one that takes my fancy is at Thruxton and I might go for the Ferrari 355 plus. As well as driving this I also drive a Porsche Cayman and a single seater Formula Renault. Obviously it costs a bit but interested to know if any others have done something similar and whether it's any good.

Yes! :)

Been and done two now. One was a Ferrari 355 experience, and then the second was a mixed bag in which I drove a Lamborghini Murcielago, Aston Martin DBS and then an Audi R8.

To be honest what will make or break it is your instructor. They'll either encourage you to open it up or be a miserable fecker. I had a miserable fecker in the Ferrari but really keen guys in the other three, especially the R8 - absolutely thrapped the R8 round and loved it and he was encouraging me to really give it some stick.

Take some spare cash with you as they often sell extra laps in other cars there on the day for not much extra money! Well worth splashing out :)

Even though it's just four laps or something it's really really worth doing.

Went on a single seater experience end of September at Rockingham circuit, and abolutely loved it. Advantage is that you don´t get an instructor sitting next to you, just a pace car gradually ramping up the speed ahead of yopu. Was great fun, since those cars do handle like real race cars.

Tempest

My Girlfriend got me the Single Seater experience at Silverstone on the Stowe circuit, really good fun. Made more so when it started in brilliant spring sunshine and then we all got pulled in in a freak blizzard and it was 0 visability looking like it might be cancelled all together, eventually went out in soaking wet conditions with everyone including me spinning everywhere. There were some very muddy single seaters that day, funny when in the briefing we were told under no circumstances would they tolerate spinning or any loss of control. No damage done! haha!

Hi,

I've posted about this before - I went to Thruxton earlier in the year. Its very well run. We did the Mada RX-8 racing tuition, and it was much cheaper than the super car stuff, but you got 21 laps with a pro race driver in the passenger seat giving you advice.

Seriously, much much better value than the supercar stuff, but then I've not been to any track days, so maybe you've been there, done that, and want to drive an exotic. All I would say is that by the end of the 21 laps getting to know the circuit, I was overtaking the Ferrari 355's and singleseaters with gay abandon! :lol:

Thruxton have changed there pricing. The most similar one I can find to the RX8 is this one: http://www.thruxtonracing.co.uk/experie ... a_mps.html Bit of a shame - the RX8 was an ex-touring car, whereas the MPS looks a bit "suburban".

PS... There is a 10% discount code available on the web for booking thruxton online. Also its fecking freezing at Thruxton - wrap up warm!

I too have done these.

I agree with Jim's comments on the Instructor.

And Tempest's - there is nothing like driving a Single seater

I would also compare to other circuits.

Not just cost, but circuit length and number of laps to ensure you get the maximum experience.

Remember this is an experience only, so I too would consider the Track Days experiences.

Unless you just really need to drive a Ferrari, Lambo to get it out of your system !

At Thruxton they do the Maxda MX5 and the Lotus Exige Track Day Sessions.

i was only enquiring about the Exige day earlier this week. :D

I did a Drivers Dream Day last year at Bruntinthorpe and had a great time driving all sorts......I also did a single seater experience at silverstone years ago and as much fun as it was driving supercars I personally would chose the single seater over any road car when doing a driving experience !!

You get a much better feeling for the track and drive just as fast if not faster especially round the bends.

TBH though whatever you decide to do, as a first experience you will love it.......its only when you do a few more you will become more critical of other experinces.

Have a good one.