Sign in to follow this  
crazy-nige

newbie with a problem

first of all hello everyone.

Right the story goes like this.

i am a vw person through and through although most of my VW's have the engine at the back, i always run a water cooled the rest of the time.

anyway i bought my first corrado on saturday, This was a very cheap car with several issues. it is an ealy 1990 16valve.

the main problem i have is that the car wont idle until the engine is warm(oil temp over 80deg) once warm it idles fine. It starts on the button providing you have your foot on the throttle slightly. i have cleaned and lubed the isv already with no sucsess, also the car seems to lack in power and when changing gear the revs take a while to drop off. it also seems to use quite a lot of fuel.

i have already been searching through older posts but thought i would ask anyway.

please help

more than likelt the dreaded coolant temp sensor, common problem on vw , temp sensor goes open circuit, the blue sensor in the plastic coolant housing.try this 1st :D

there's a lot you can check, correct resistance across the electrical connector on the warm up regulator, cold start injector, vacuum lines, throttle idle switch and so on.

for starters ISV should measure 3.5 to 4.5 ohms across terminals

warm up valve resistance (it has an internal heating element) should be 20-26 ohms

to check control pressure of fuel from warm up regulator you need the appropriate unions and a fuel pressure test gauge, but after 2.5 to 3 mins control pressure should increase to 3.4 to 3.8 bar

it should be about 1.7 bar on a cold engine with 20 degree ambient temp

ecu temp sensor (small ones on side of head) should read 2,500 ohms at 0 deg C dropping to 100 Ohms by the time the engine is fully warm

if you're happy the ignition side of things are all new/claen and operating correctly, I'd also check ignition advance and timing just so you know everything is OK

idle CO should be about 1.5%

will do. the temp guage still seems to work ok though or is that off another sensor?

there's no blue temp sensor like on 8v cars, the 16v has 3 identical sensors on the side of the head feeding gauge, ecu and idle control unit IIRC.

thanks for the help guys. it proved to be one of the small sensors being open cicuit. car now idles lurvely cold or hot.

just need to sort the emissions now where the previous :censored: owner has been fiddling.

ok i've sorted the idle problem when cold. the problems i have are very high fuel consumption, what should i be getting from a 1990 (G) plate pre cat'd car.

it also seems to be low on power, now i know i've only just got this car and its my first "c" but it definattely seems it. also it is still having dificulty starting when cold.

please help before i sell it and go back to my bug.

ok so far i have sorted the idle fault.

checked and adjusted the timing to 6deg advance.

set the emissions at idle to .5%

but still i seem to be using a hell of a lot of fuel would you expect to get more than 100 miles to 3/4 of a tank. please any advice would be great as its costing a fortune to run.

What sort of mileage you getting?

Also where are you as we have a local guy who's a bit of a god with setting up K-jet... does it all by ear too! :notworthy:

well there is definately no leaks so will check the injectors next i guess, but in all honesty it doesnt feel like a dribbly injector.

now its pay day i will do a proper consumption test but to be honest it does seem to be a bit high.

so far i have managed to get about 120 miles to 3/4 of a tank.

basically my question is what sort of miles to a tank full do you get from your standard 16valve raddo's

Sounds very low - does yours have the 12 or 15 gallon tank?

My VR does 3-400 per tank depending on useage, so I'd expect you'd get more from a 16v if it shares the larger fuel tank.

early vavlver will have a baby tank...

But still a bit low... you should be seeing 250+ from it!

Best to whip the injectors out ans leak test them.. all 5

You should be getting around 350 miles to a tank on an early valver - -that's what I got from my one. That was with a duff deceleration valve.

A couple of years ago according to the display - 36 -40 mpg.