Sign in to follow this  
Gareth_16V

ABF engine swap - power steering setup

Hi guys and gals,

I've done loads of searching on here and on the net in general over the past few days and can't find the answer, so here goes:-

The background:-

I'm in the very early stages of building an ABF turbo engine that will eventually replace the 9A 16V engine. I've got the ABF engine, which came partially stripped. It came with the alternator and a bracket, but no PAS pump or bracket (or so I believe).

I want to retain the ABF alternator location to give maximum space for the inlet manifod, and use the standard ABF serpentine belt setup. The alternator bracket I have could possibly be the air-con type, as it has an auto-tensioner.

My question is this:-

Will the standard 16V 9A PAS pump fit the mk3 bracket setup? Do I just have to swap the existing pulley for a mk3 item? (possibly in addition to correcting the pulley offset with a spacer?). I've no access to ETKA, and VagCat is less than helpful as I don't know which parts are correct.

Most of the posts on the net are related to Mk1/Mk2 Golf swaps, so most of the info out there has no mention of the power steering pulley save for "can I remove it completely". How have the guys on here running ABFs got round this?

Any info welcomed!!

If it was me i'd try and get both PAS setups and try and make it work.

I have an ABF pas pump in the garage I think.

I think it has the bracket on it.I'll have to check.

unfortunately I think the 9A PAS pump has the wrong hub spacing to pulley, if it was a 1.816v you might have got away with just using an ABF pulley as they have the same 52mm hub spacing on the pump

If it was me i'd try and get both PAS setups and try and make it work.

I have an ABF pas pump in the garage I think.

I think it has the bracket on it.I'll have to check.

If you do have the pump and bracket I'd be interested.

Many Thanks