Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Malting steering wheel?!?

Anyone else ever had this problem? This cold damp weather is actually causing my steering wheel to malt in my hand, clearly time for a new one, but just wondered if this was a common problem?

the steering wheels are getting old now 15+ years, they do start deteriorating with age and use, currently looking for a coachwork trimmer to re-leather, and get a group discount, check the newest threads/new posts.

if theres enough interest we could get a good deal. new steering wheels from vw are about £250 300 mark

When i was ordering some parts at VW last month I enquired about a replacement leather steering wheel for my 92 G60 and they wanted £485. Even the parts guy was suprised.

Yeah enquired a while ago for the VR and they were £400 ish plus vat, and not actually certain they could get hold of one either. then as luck would have it a brand new one came up on ebay which had never been fitted & still in the original pacaging so i just had to have it :clap: didn't pay anywhere near that though :norty:

a brand new one came up on ebay which had never been fitted & still in the original pacaging so i just had to have it

Aww, he's spoilt my Christmas present surprise now :lol:

im having this very problem.. its like the rubber compound is melting!

ive tried to "fix" the rubber with some chemicals donated to me by my resident chemist bofin friend... ill let you know how i get on

my old VR one was bad, new one is fine...

i have a 1992 golf gti i use daily and has exactly the same steering wheel which is in good condition after 135k, so im sure you could just buy a new one cheap from someone on the bay

I managed to sort mine by applying lots of black shoe polish from one of those tubes with liquid polish and a sponge on the end. Applied about 10 coats over a week. Might be worth a try, depending how far gone it is.