Sign in to follow this  
lilfuzzer

Crank pipe removal

Hi all after some advice.

Tried to remove the crank pipe from the block I have (it is the standard vw plastic kind) only thing is can I be buggered but get it out.

Any advice or special tools required?

Cheers

They are a b!tch to remove mate i assume youve got the front end of the car off? I pulled it one way then the other for ages it eventually came off and had arm ache for the next week or so lol. They just weld themselves to the block over the years also when you end up removing it get a dremel on the edge of the hole it came out of so that its smooth

Good luck

there is usually loads of corrosion there, i dremel'd loads away when i did mine, so much so i worried it would leak, but came out perfect.

think i destroyed the old plastic one to get it out

Cheers bud the engine is out of the car so loads of room but limited leaverage(spelling) but i'll try that thanks

just didnt want to damage it in removal or guess if I do should be easy to replace

Mine just crumbled to bits when I took it off. Spends hours trying to scoop/scrape all the plastic shards out the block!

Bad news (I remember right) it was around £35 for a new one from VW!

Cheers all hopefully will just come out with a bit of force

I'll check the gruven one price if it breaks to see the dif

Removal on mine was pretty easy as it crumbled away. Now getting the new one in was the nightmare. I too had an aching arm/shoulder for at least a week after trying to do this job.

I did this with the front end still on & having since had the front end off, I wish I had removed it for the crack pipe replacement, it would have saved me some pain!