Sign in to follow this  
8vMatt

Hints n tips for a smooth service?

Hi guys

This or next weekend I'll be carrying out an oil, filters change and a general check over to see how things are looking. I've bought all gen VW Synta oil, oil filter, fuel filter and gearbox oil.

I'll be doing the service with my brother who is a trained mechanic, so he won't let me go too far wrong! Just wondered if you guys had any little hints and tips to make things go smoother? Please don't say take it to a garage for a service! Haha.

if your bro is in the trade i dont think you will come across any problems its pretty easy to do all of the things you have listed :D

On a VR?

You will need 5.5 Ltrs of oil, a 36mm Socket for the filter housing and a 5 or 6mm allen key to drain said housing.

17mm Allen for the gearbox drain and check you can undo the filler first - you will also need some way of getting the oil in, long bit of plastic tube with a funnel.

Fuel filter - you might want a couple of stainless M8 nuts for the filter carrier and also 2 new fuel line clips for the filter.

As above all fairly easy but worth making sure you have the right parts and tools first if doing it at home.

Worth also having a look in the Knowledge base as I think all 3 jobs are covered -

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/category_engine_bay.html

Brilliant, thanks for the help. It is on my VR.

The more little jobs I do on it, the more confident I'm feeling towards it.

Probably best not click on the timing chains and clutch artical yet then :lol:

Probably best not click on the timing chains and clutch artical yet then :lol:

Hmmm, ok think I'll give that a miss for a while! Am getting better, I couldn't do anything to a car before the Rado. Since getting it, I've done stuff like stripping the front of the car down, working on the engine and rebuilding everything. Nothing compared to what some of you guys do but I'm pleased with my efforts.