Sign in to follow this  
jack-gtir

non PAS rack ?

just wondering if i could put a non PAS rack in my rado from a seat ( i know folks on here that use the seat PAS rack )

to be honest i really liked the feel from both of my 205 gti's(without PAS) would mean i could ditch all the other heavey , leaky , power sapping parts that are required to run ......

any thoughts ?

ment to add mines is a 36 spline

regards - jack

my thoughts, the 205 is about as heavy as a bean tin and the corrado is heavier on the front than a mk2, it would probably feel nice on the open road, but in practice with wider tyres, smaller steering wheels and the corrado weight it would be a pain in the arse to drive daily.

lol , i know what your thinking but it's only at stand still that it's hard(er) but on the move it feels so much better ( in my opinion that is :) )

It's the getting it moving though. Try getting in or out of a tight parking space or even slow speed maneuvering. It feels like the steering wheel is going to break off!

Just occurred to me when writing that. As all the assistance is provided at the rack the loading on the column etc is reduced. How long would all the bushes, joints etc last with the extra loads put on them.

I had a MK2 GTi without PAS and it was ok but after having another with it I wouldn't go back and especially not on a Corrado!

I hear what your saying about the extra parts etc but the PAS on a Corrado is great - perfectly weighted and gives great feedback from the road

Having tried driving a similar age non-PAS VW in the past, I wouldn't be in a hurry. That was on a Scirocco too which has nice skinny little wheels on it. I can't imagine how hard it'd be to steer something like a VR without PAS!

thanks for the replies guys :) will take them on board when i make my mind up 8)

am i right in saying that a car made with PAS that is not working , will be harder to steer than a car with a manual rack ?

cheers - jack

yup, cause you'll be pushing the hydraulic fluid about yourself and usually PAS racks are quicker ratios than non, so that amplifies the problem.

the PAS on a Corrado is great - perfectly weighted and gives great feedback from the road

Couldn't agree more, it's spot on for PAS, just the right amount of assistance. It's not like you would have huge benefits going over to a manual rack, maybe if it was a track only car.