Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Weird instrument problem.

Hi all,

Ive just had a new stabiliser chip fitted to the instrument panel of my VR - its the black chip that sits top right of the circuit board near the rev counter. I noticed on the way back from the garage that the spoiler now goes up at 55mph not 45 and goes down at 20 mph not 10mph. So i hooked vagcom up and it appears the speedo is reading 10mph higher then im actually travelling.

Now, i can only thing its the chip thats caused this. But i cant see how a chip for the fuel gauge would affect the speedo. The rev counter appears ok, not sure about the temp gauge.

What could have been disturbed to cause this, or how would the stabiliser cause this???

At least its reading over and not under...but would want this fixed really.

EDIT - could it have something to do with how the needle was put back on?

Needle on in the wrong place I guess???

10 points to that man...

I've taken the speedo needle off before and put it back on with little notice of how i put it back on. The speedo was fine then... as far as im aware :lol: I didnt realise it had to be put back on in a certain position. Oh well thats something else ive learnt and will know for next time :D

just on that point, if you do take the tacho or speedo needle off, first lift it over the stop so they go beyond the '0' and see where it stops. Just mark this position carefully. when you replace the needle just line it up with your mark.

just on that point, if you do take the tacho or speedo needle off, first lift it over the stop so they go beyond the '0' and see where it stops. Just mark this position carefully. when you replace the needle just line it up with your mark.

Yeah thats what i did in the end after reading the one post that popped up in the search :lol:

I put the needle on just below the rest and the pushed it over the rest. I then checked it on vag com and when it reads 50kph on the speedo it says about 47 on vagcom. So its still not perfect but alot better! i'll save it for another day as ive got other problems at the mo.

Just had cv joint, front discs and pads, wheels bearings changed and now my drivers front wheels squeeks like h3ll when turning left. I thought it was the longer wheel bolts i fitted as ive been known to catch the ABS rotors, so i changed them for the OE shorter ones - still does it. SO ive got to investigate that tomorrow... i DO love Corrados :lol: