Sign in to follow this  
one_eyed_willy

ggrrr my dad run her out of fuel.

A quick background story first.

ive just came back from a 2 week vacation, during which my father borrowed my car for a week. when he picked me up in his car he said as soon as i get home i should go straight to the petrol station as my car was nearly out of fuel,

thanks dad.

so i go to fill up and go get some shopping to fill the bare cupboards. put the key in the door lock and the barrel comes right out.

eventually get in the car, and the battery is dead. i told him not to set the alarm just lock it incase it drained the battery.

check the fuel and its not even registering on the gage, so decide to call him up and bring a jerry can of fuel and jump leads. Get the car started with 5 litres of fuel added.

take it for a a few mile drive before i fill her up with petrol and in those few miles its spluttering like a mofo :( as soon as its under load she just coughs and splutters.

so, will it be just the injectors blocked or should i check other things?

p.s all this while trying to deal with some major jet lag :(

which model, and was it definitely empty ie have you introduced air into the fuel system by cranking dry?

wow, your dads needs a slap! :lol:

run some redline fuel cleaner through it, if that doesn't help you can always get the injectors cleaned at your local garage. Cost me £30 to get mine done on the G60 but then i only have 4 on my fuel rail

you may also have a fuel line blocked, but the redline would solve all those kind of probs

Check the fuel filter too, its probably crudded up now. Under that car, just before the rear wheel on the drivers side.

cool, i'll look for some fuel additive.

as for the fuel filter, only changed it 6 months ago :( will have to order one up, i suppose its worth doing.

will look into getting the injectors cleaned, no way im gonna pay for new ones. will make sure if i do that he will get the bill.

cool, i'll look for some fuel additive.

as for the fuel filter, only changed it 6 months ago :( will have to order one up, i suppose its worth doing.

will look into getting the injectors cleaned, no way im gonna pay for new ones. will make sure if i do that he will get the bill.

one step at a time... id check the filter first and if it looks ok then buy some fuel additive. And if that doesn't help check the fuel lines and if that doesn't help go to the garage and have the jets cleaned.

slowly slowly catchy monkey

can't really just check the filter, i reckon if hes taking the fuel filter off it might as well be changed so fuel additive might be best first option. probably cheapest and easiest. no point buying new filter if the injectors are blocked :wink:

i don't know how good this additive is but i always chuck a load of optimax through my system for a couple of weeks for a good clean

can't really just check the filter, i reckon if hes taking the fuel filter off it might as well be changed so fuel additive might be best first option. probably cheapest and easiest. no point buying new filter if the injectors are blocked :wink:

i don't know how good this additive is but i always chuck a load of optimax through my system for a couple of weeks for a good clean

no way of re-using the same fitter? especially if its new? :confused4:

any crud would have had to pass through the filter first. or am i being silly... my knowlage of cars is based on the exact science of duct tape, heat shrink and IPon 38 after all! :lol: