Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Handbrake

I took my rado in for her (third) MOT test as she kept failing due to the handbrake, we replaced the cables and she finally passed but only just. The minimum is 16% and she scored like 16.3% or something similar. Now even with the new cables the passengers side cable has been tightened up as far as it will go....obviously the braking power isnt going to improve as i cannot tighten it anymore. I've got a year to sort this issue out but would rather get it done as soon as i can.

What are my options?

Thanks, J

Yup. It's internal, so you can't do anything with it.

Before buying new ones, I'd just give the calipers a good going over and make sure they are free and the pads aren't sticking to the carriers.

Well the brakes seem fine normally and they were passed ok on the MOT so i dont think the pads are sticking. Would it be worth upgrading to MK4 calipers?

I had handbrake problems a couple of months ago - I seemed to have to pull the lever up a long way before anything happened.

Put the car in 1st gear, chocked the wheels, scrabbled under the rear. Had someone sit in the car and pull on the lever, then release. The pivot wasnt returning much at all.

Gave the external pivots a good squirt with WD40 and left it for an hour.

Repeated the excercise - this time manually returning the pivot after the lever was released. After a few repeats of this, and more WD, it was 100% better and the slack was reduced.

Passed the MOT last week with no handbrake-related problems.