Sign in to follow this  
OllieVR6

Satin lacquer?

So I have decided to go satin black with my speedlines, and I thought I would get away with not having to lacquer them. However, when trial fitting the first wheel, I put quite a few chips in, so I definitely need to lacquer them.

Any idea where I can get some lacquer for satin paint?

2009-12-13%2014.25.37.jpg

You did key the original paint/undercoat first? I've done my wheels with matt black and they haven't chipped at all so far.

You did key the original paint/undercoat first? I've done my wheels with matt black and they haven't chipped at all so far.

Hmm, I thought I had, but perhaps not. I'm no pro at spraying, luckily that first wheel was a test. Any tips for the rest?

dont go mad, just layer it on and let each coat dry properly, I always rush it cause I wanna see results. its best to take your time

Well I've done some searching on the forums now and it definitely looks like I need to key them properly, everything else I have been doing seems right.

If someone would be so kind as to outline a good technique I would be most grateful! :)

When I paint wheels I usually (bearing in mind I'm no pro, but usually get decent enough results)

1. Couple of layers of Nitromors (cheap from B&Q) to remove any previous paint if neccessary

2. Key surface with first 500 grit (usually used dry) to get surface nice and flat then 1000 grit wet and dry. Fill any low spots with Chemical Metal.

3. About 5 thin layers of primer, leaving around 5 mins between coats, leave to dry for a while

4. Rub out any marks/dust with 1000 grit wet and dry, reprime another couple of coats if neccessary, repeat proccess until nice and flat as any imperfections in the primer will show up ten times worse once the colour is on

5. Put the colour on, around 5-10 thin coats, leaving two minutes between coats, leave til touch dry.

6. A good few coats of lacquer, I spray in a reasonably dusty garage or outdoors so usually use a fair bit of lacquer so I have enough thickness to flat later. Remember when laquering to go both horizontal and vertical to avoid any lines.

7. Once totally dry and hard, if neccessary rub back with 2000 grit wet and dry, finally use a light cutting compound to bring laquer back to life after flating. Finish off with some Wheel Wax to keeps the finish nice and shiny.