Sign in to follow this  
g60rc

Lightening a corrado

has anyone tried to lighten their corrado, specifically 16v?

Is there any viable way to shed a resonable amount of weight, and if so, where did the best gains come from? Ideally getting it near mk2 golf figures would be good...

carbon bonnet, small battery, lose the subframe weight, rear wiper/motor, interior...

there's a thread on here somewhere where someone's weighed all the stuff they've binned and the car afterwards,

think I'd rather keep the interior and soundproofing myself.

won't heat disipation be affected by a carbon bonnet?

glad u've asked this question, looking for a carbon bonnet, and wouldn't have thought about this :clap:

once you're moving it'll make no difference at all, and idling the engine's not going to make much heat anyway, plenty fitted to VR's and they get warm.

Thanks for the link, 100kg would be a nice amount to use. Shame about the carbon bonnet cost and the apparent need for fixed seats.

Maybe 50kg would be useful, but then i may not notice that. 100kg is a different ball game. Hmmmm.

If ya remove ya rear door cards u will find there's a inner skin what isn't in mk2s,can all be cut out if ya not too worried bout the safety of rear passengers or don't plan to have them in, imagine it will reduce stiffness. depending on how anal ya wanna be a can get a holesaw and drill/cut everywere on the car ya see fit, I lost my mind one morning and did loads(all hidden or outta sight) there's nuff stuff ya can remove ya just gotta decide how close to standard ya wanna keep the car, even valver corrados weight a lot more than mk2s gettin the weight down that much isn't too easy without it lookin like a track car. The bonnet alone weighs as much as a mk2 shell.

Take out the glass and replace it with LexanFMR, saves a fair bit of weight and you can't really notice the look of it (if you cut and form it correctly), other than it is louder.

Take out the glass and replace it with LexanFMR, saves a fair bit of weight and you can't really notice the look of it (if you cut and form it correctly), other than it is louder.

heard about this briefly before and very interested, any more info etc please?

1. Buy some lexan FMR (scratch resistant film over polycarbonate) the same thickness as the glass.

2. Get the glass and scribe around it onto the lexan with 10mm extra around the perimeter.

3. Find someone with an oven big enough to fit the glass panels in. (you'll have to find out how much heat you need as i can't remember)

4. Place the (super clean) glass on a horizontal surface and put the lexan panel over the top of it.

5. Heat it up in the oven until the lexan takes the same shape as the glass, but don't let it flop over the edges around the perimeter.

6 Wait for it to cool completely.

7 Scripe and cut around the glass again this time matching the two exactly.

8. Fit your much lighter window!

PS Don't do the windscreen, it would get too scratched from the wipers, it's not as hard as glass, but on the rear screen is fine.

:salute: top man cheers... time to bribe my local pizza place for use of their oven :grin:

When I "lighten" my Corrado I took away the shelf and stuff like that... But then I dint have anywhere to put it so it went in the trunk of my Corrado.

WOW! What a sprinter it became! :clap: