Sign in to follow this  
g60rc

Alternator/power problem

Bought a 1.8 16v corrado yesterday and i'm hoping to get it MOT'd ASAP, it did a 40 mile trip back from where i bought it

The voltage across the battery is 13.1-13.4V when running, the engine idles at 1100rpm when warm and nothing on and goes down depending what you have on, and the speed of the wipers, brightness of the lights, power of the fan etc changes depending what you have on that uses power.

Obviously my first thought is the alternator as i understand that it should be 14.4V, the battery seems ok, it starts the car perfectly,

Any thoughts?

It's possible one of the diodes has gone down on the alternator which would mean a recon alternator, but it's worth swaping a new brush pack/ voltage regulator in first as they are not that expensive and only two phillips screws.

brilliant, thanks.

Can i get them both at GSF and has anyone a diagram of where they are?

I assume these parts will be the same from a KR 16v mk2 golf?

brilliant, thanks.

Can i get them both at GSF and has anyone a diagram of where they are?

I assume these parts will be the same from a KR 16v mk2 golf?

yep, should be able to, the voltage regulator and brushes are all in one pack on the 16v alternators (as you say same as golf2 16v)

if you look on the end of the alt, it's the black round thing with two legs and two phillips head screws holding it in.

Its out, thanks - the brushes are 5.3mm, so could do with replacing.

I'm popping to GSF now, hopfully it comes as one unit, since they say they have the voltage reg but no brushes. Can't see how you'd seperate them easily really.

And another one, how do you take the tension out of the powersteering pump belt? Both that and the alternator one need renewing, so i'll get those while im down there.

Cheers

And another one, how do you take the tension out of the powersteering pump belt? Both that and the alternator one need renewing, so i'll get those while im down there.

Cheers

PITA, you need to slacken several bolts, the long pivot one that the PAS pump bracket dangles off the water pump cover bracket, then two hidden 13mm bolts inside the alloy braket attached to the block and then the adjustment bolt itself,

somewhere I put up a few pics with the bolt locations arrowed.

Thanks for the replies, i'll search for your posts on how to slacken the belt -

Bought and fitted the assembly to the alternator - time will tell tomorrow if that was the problem when i fit it back on.

Also spent £90 on service parts :brickwall: