Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Protecting polished aluminium

As I have my VR6 in bits at the moment I got the inlet manifolds and cam cover sand blasted and polished. I'm after some sort of clear lacquer that will withstand the heat and won't come off with oil / petrol etc.. Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure that Halfords sell a clear engine laquer... I saw it in there last night... It's not very cheap (about £7 IIRC) but it's heat and oil resistant so should help do what you need it to... 8)

Nice one, i'll have a look tonight. Not going to get the engine back together until next weekend at the earliest so have time to do the tarty bits.

Have no car to run around in now, a garage lent me a Rover 214GSi with a blown head gasket as a courtesy car. Took it back yesterday with a blown gearbox. :? Maybe I'm doing something wrong! :roll:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong! :roll:

there's this funny stick thing just next to your left leg, and sometimes a peddle for your left foot to press... You're supposed to use them to change gear every now and then rather than driving everywhere in only 1st at 9000rpm! :roll: :lol: :-P

Mate, you'd be lucky to get 3000rpm out of that car. Is was a bit pot luck which gear you ended up selecting from the bowl of nut soup that was the left stick thing though. By the end it sounded like a cross-cut gearbox. :)

Back to the ally bits, has anyone else noticed what poor quality they are compared to a 16v mk2 golf inlet manifold for instance. Air holes, horrible casting marks (hidden on the underside granted), thin, the look of more magnesium than aluminium in the mix. There seems to be abit of cost cutting going on. :?

Mate, you'd be lucky to get 3000rpm out of that car. Is was a bit pot luck which gear you ended up selecting from the bowl of nut soup that was the left stick thing though. By the end it sounded like a cross-cut gearbox. :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist that! :wink:

Back to the ally bits, has anyone else noticed what poor quality they are compared to a 16v mk2 golf inlet manifold for instance. Air holes, horrible casting marks (hidden on the underside granted), thin, the look of more magnesium than aluminium in the mix. There seems to be abit of cost cutting going on. :?

Yeah, my G60 inlet is a bit on the rough side (on the outside only, the inside's been flowed!) took a bit of work with some sandpaper to get it to look reasonable enough to paint... It's nice and thick though, I don't think it was cost cutting, just a different casting technique... :?

if i were you mate i wouldnt bother with laquer it will take the shine off your polished bits and if you get any moisture under it it'll go white and look crap. just keep it clean after all how long does it take to wipe it over a couple of times a week :D

Good point paulg60, going to do that and maybe give it a coat of WD40 every now and again. Don't want to be taking it all off again anytime soon to re-spray.