Sign in to follow this  
Josh Waddi

Urgent - Brake advise please

Post re-edited

Details added to the bottom. Will MK4 rear calipers fit straight onto my current standard setup. 1991 1.8 16V.

If not what will be needed to make the adaption, i also have the caliper carriers.

Thanks

the screw holding the handle in is a left hand thread try turning the screwdriver the other way and it will come out, if you look closely it has an arrown marked the the screw, if its not too rusty. :D

U lenend, my eye sight is shocking so clearly i just missed this. The screw was fine before i destroyed the head as it was replaced when the repair kit was fitted. Hopefully be able to fix this now. Thankyou

On one of my handles, the screw wouldnt come out !

in the end i had to angle grind it off, very carefully !

Probably the drivers side which is a reverse thread - note the arrow on the screw!

On one of my handles, the screw wouldnt come out !

in the end i had to angle grind it off, very carefully !

Probably the drivers side which is a reverse thread - note the arrow on the screw!

Until i found this site i had 5 drivers handles and two passenger handles, IIRC it was number two that wouldnt come out ,as i have replaced all handles myself, i know they where all right hand thread !

found an old broken door handle,(drivers) the part that usually breaks is the small part laying by the handle

This is the part Daves16v sells in stainless steel, hope this gives you an idea what you are looking for

Thanks for the help guys, gonna need 2 new handles how fun.

Thanks for the guy who rang me, managed to get rear caliper carriers from a MK4 golf. was wondering if they will go straight on my current disks or will i need different ones? the pads are fine and fit. just dont wanna take my brakes apart and not be able to re-buld them back up.

Need a swift reply on this people as i cant get to wrk tomorrow, no work no dollar!!

Thanks again

I guess so, although if you've already got the calipers and can get the hoses quick enough and have the time to fit them all they'd be better by all accounts.

Hi, im having a nightmare with this now, new caliper bought from GFS, fitted, just tested the brakes and all the fluid has pumped out!!!! any ideas? not used to this hands on approach. everything went on the way it came off and the hose was on as tight as possible.

Hi the bleed screw was on very tight, ive found what it was, THE NEW CALIPER!!!!

Just to let you all know the joys of buying parts from GFS. Phoned up to check they had the part in, yes said the sales rep and advised it was £79.99. I questioned the amount he quoted as i had looked on thier website and it was £49.99. He came back and said the part number had changed and i was correct. So i go down (12 miles away in this snow) and the guy says theres a £30 sur-charge on the part with exchange for my old one. I basically told him where to shove-it. Got the caliper for £49.00 and then fitted it. When coming to test the brakes i had the bleed kit on and was making sure all was fine when i seen a constant quick flowing drip. There was no pressure under the pedal at all. So i got a friend to pump the brake whilst i lay in the snow with my head under the car and i see the leak from the new caliper. theres a spring lever which the handbrake cable runs into and the spring has a washer were its connected to the caliper which was very loose. It was pouring out of here. Now i missed a days pay from work and im having to take a half day pay cut so i can get replacement caliper and get it changed. :bad-words: