Sign in to follow this  
Mac

17" Wheels

I've been looking through the members gallery to get some ideas on what wheels to buy for my VR6, seems that most people go for 17" and they do look the best, but what kind of perfomance loss do you get from a larger wheel?

Anyone got any opinions?[/url]

I had 17s on my 16v. The acceleration was definitley effected,particularly under 60mph. Really didn't like them in that respect, but i think they were particularly heavy wheels.

It handled great with them, felt so secure and had so much grip,IMO better than the 15s.

If you've got a g60 or vr6, you may not notice the accelaration difference as much cos they have more torque?? Dont quote me on that though :)

I moved from 15 to 17 about 2 years ago. The 1st 17's I put on were Fox 6 and I found them quite disappointing. They buckled very easily and I saw no improvement in handling. If anything it was worse due to the lower profile rubber and minimised wall movement. The 2 fronts buckled within a week with pot-holes and I switched them to the back, then on Xmas Eve on a spirited drive along the Hardknott Pass I severely buckled a 3rd.

Enough was enough and in the New Year I bought some OZ Superleggera's. The difference is amazing. The Legs are very light (7.9kg to 14.6kg for the Fox) and the car seems more alive. The suspension seems to work better and acceleration and braking is improved. I thought it might be placebo so I got the G/F to try it out and didn't tell her what I was expecting, and she confirmed it. I think the Superturismo is due to be upgraded to the same spec alloy soon too (called the SuperT GT).

Enough was enough and in the New Year I bought some OZ Superleggera's. The difference is amazing. The Legs are very light (7.9kg to 14.6kg for the Fox) and the car seems more alive.

You've hit the nail on the head there.....alloy quality and low weight are key when upsizing wheels. Which is why I like the OZ chrono evo, the 7x17 weighs 7.7Kg, which I believe is lighter than the OE speedlines, themselves no heavyweight.

Reduced side walls will give you less 'give' on demanding bumpy bends but soft rubber like the Toyo T1-s go some way to taking the edge off that wee problem. The rewards for shallower sidewalls are better steering feel and a sharper turn-in though...

RobyD - Can't really say as I haven't had 15's on for 2 years. I didn't notice much difference at the time with the old 17's, but as my post says, the Superleggeras are much better. If I'd gone for them from the start I dare say I'd have been thrilled (and better off).

I was running 15" rivage rims which I found heavier than the 17's I'm now running.. seems to be alot better, although plans are I to lower it more & fit new rubber :)

RobyD - Can't really say as I haven't had 15's on for 2 years. I didn't notice much difference at the time with the old 17's, but as my post says, the Superleggeras are much better. If I'd gone for them from the start I dare say I'd have been thrilled (and better off).

I see what you mean. Its just what your used to isnt it.

Superleggras sound like quality wheels though. What finish have you got them in, shiney or the grey?

Shiny. I have a real problem with dark coloured wheels, especially black, urgh! Looks like you've lost the trims off your steel wheels. My cars met silver/grey so the grey wheels would blend in too much. Bling bling silver for me. :D