Sign in to follow this  
Jay23Sx

New Hub, Carrier, Disk, Pads, Bearing ..

Hi All,

Not sure if any of you saw but about three weeks ago I had a bearing collapse on me without any warning (honest).

Finally got round to having a mechanic look at it and the damage caused by the bearing means I need a new hub, hub carrier, pads, disks and something else (which I can't remember at the moment). The hub carrier was the most expensive component (170+VAT I think he said) but may not be needed depending on what they find when they properly strip things down. He esitmated the total cost to be between £350 and £550 (dependant on the hub carrier) which includes 2-3 hours labour.

Do you think this is a reasonable price, and to be honest, is it worth it ?

Thats a mental price... But then that is about right from the dealers...

Can you not source a complete one from someone braking one?

They are not hard to repair...

Id bet the hub with a bearing already in would be £30 tops

Brake disks £30 tops

Pads £30 tops

That something else cant be too expensive...

So say £150 in parts

If you are not technically minded then I am sure someone locally on here could help you? If worst comes to worst Id even come and do it for you... whats your post code?

Id say you could do it yourself for £150 and if someone else helped... £150 plus beer tokens!! :D

Mark

im upgrading my brakes to 288's on the front.

i paid £35 for discs/pads/calipers/carriers and hubs, that was delivered too. so unless you want brand new kit then you dont need to fork out that much.

few cars being broken.

grab a g60 setup for yours, probably £50 to £80ish depending on condition. vr6 uses the same setup but 5 stud discs

Speaking of Hub Carriers .. what are they? May seem a daft question but I'm looking at VAGCAT and they don't have anything listed along the lines of "Hub Carrier" - the closest thing from the list is the wheel bearing housing. Help? :)

Number 9 - hub / bearing carrier

Ta, thought it would be that but it's listed as "Wheel Bearing Housing" which threw me.

I guess that means I need 9, most of 28 (minus ABS specific parts) as well as a new brake disk and pads.

Dont you have to replace discs and pads in pairs ?

Well that's no major cost really even if I have to, not compared to the hub carrier.

To go for 280's you would need discs pads carriers and calipers.

I think the pads are the same as a 1.8 16v though, hopefully someone will confirm or deny?