Sign in to follow this  
nickeboy

epc light

Hi

my freind has a 2001 passat 20L

his EPC light has been coming on and the car loses all power. the light relates to the drive by wire and i am told that this is normaly due to a sensor, it starts fine, drives fine but ever so often the light comes on and there is no accelerator, turn it of and on again and it is ok.

i know it is not a corrado but as its christmas it would be great if the whole family could help

thanks

Nick

had it on vag.com at the local dealers they said the alternator came up as a fault but is actually fine now, they said there were no other faults and the computer would remember any faults for the last 50 turns of the ignition,

when i say it loses all power it still runs just the accelerator does nothing the drive by wire is not working. i have heard the brake switch can sometimes cause this?, there is also a relay noise clicking behind the dash i will have a look and see if it could be related,

thanks for your help

nick

The system doesn't always log transient faults (even though it ought to).

Did they scan everything? EPC can be a bunch of stuff from ignition to ABS, so you need to scan all the control modules, ideally while it is actually having the problem.

My Mum has a New Beetle that did a very similar thing - the EPC light came on occasionally and it lost power, but didn't record any faults. It only showed the fault in VAG-COM when it was actually happening and when the light was on, and it turned out just to be a bad coil pack.

hi guys

i have not got any further with the problem, but i do want to mention something, there is a relay behind the dash that clicks on and off once in a while, does not seem affect any thing but it is not right clearly, could there be any relays behind there that could affect it

any similar faults it would be great to hear about them

thanks

nick