4eyes2wheels

Flash Red 1993 VR6 - Sold on to the next owner

Another trip to DG Autotech today for the second installment on the braking update. Had the fronts replaced last year and the knackered handbrake cable before Christmas has prompted replacement of the whole rear braking setup.

MK4 Golf Calipers

New Disks

New Pads

New Handbrake Cables

New DG Stainless Steel Brake Lines

New wheel bearings

And a full service while I was there too - why not eh?

Thanks Graham, good to see you again! :salute:

Another trip to see Graham at DG Autotech today. A couple of minor niggles sorted out and then an MOT.

Thanks again for all the help and top notch attention to detail and customer satisfaction Graham.

Took the VR6 through the 79,000 mile mark on Bank Holiday Monday. I sometimes look at other cars as potential replacements but I keep coming back to say that they are not Corrados - I really do love it! Must get round to giving it a REALLY good clean, polish and wax though.

Edited by 4eyes2wheels

VAG COM Cables have arrived. Can't wait to get home to plug in and find out what's going on! Although that might be bad news. What's the code for your car is a money pit?

Dropped off for new Jetex exhaust and a bit of diagnostics on the fuel economy / lambda issue. Reuben seems like a nice bloke - even opened up an hour early so I could get to work in time!

Just back fro Tuning Werkes with a new lambda sensor and a new Jetex exhaust. Which is all good. Not so good is that I have an oil leak from the rocker cover gasket and a leak from the auxiliary water pump, so it will be going back on Tuesday for some more love.

Coming along nicely. How do you like the new Jetex? I bought one for my VR 3 months ago (without Res box). Sounds awesome!! =)

I guess you can't put your foot down until the leaks sorted.

Bring on next Tuesday!! =D

Got a Jetex too (3-box); love it!

It’s interesting to see both of our cars are similar in terms of ‘relatively low mileage’ yet still require to have similar works done. I think you mentioned yours is just under 75000 miles; mine had 76000 miles when I bought it in April 2010 and now it’s just over 86000 miles.

Auxiliary water pump was one of the very first things got replaced on my car as it was well knackered! Then I upgraded the brakes, new Jetex, new rear dampers etc. I’ve booked in my car for a new heater matrix next week. All these works are not cheap but hey, my car is my luxury!

Good luck!

Coming along nicely. How do you like the new Jetex? I bought one for my VR 3 months ago (without Res box). Sounds awesome!! =)

I guess you can't put your foot down until the leaks sorted.

Bring on next Tuesday!! =D

Only had the 12 mile trip home mostly through traffic so not had much chance to experience it but it is very shiny and does make a good noise without being too "Max Power" - I bought the quiet version, I am in my mid forties after all!

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Got a Jetex too (3-box); love it!

It’s interesting to see both of our cars are similar in terms of ‘relatively low mileage’ yet still require to have similar works done. I think you mentioned yours is just under 75000 miles; mine had 76000 miles when I bought it in April 2010 and now it’s just over 86000 miles.

Auxiliary water pump was one of the very first things got replaced on my car as it was well knackered! Then I upgraded the brakes, new Jetex, new rear dampers etc. I’ve booked in my car for a new heater matrix next week. All these works are not cheap but hey, my car is my luxury!

Good luck!

Mileage is now 79k but the age is the real issue I think - 18 years now. The exhaust they cut off (with LOTS of disks apparently) was the original item so it's done it's time really. My car is also my luxury, having stopped owning motorbikes, but even the little things really add up. But it is a joy when it's all working right.

When I go back on Tuesday for the other work I will have to ask them to look again at the exhaust fitment as it is banging when I go over bumps in the road - and let's face it there are plenty of those in the UK! I was always under the impress the Jetex was a good fit. Perhaps they just need to try a bit harder at the garage!

Raised it with the garage who said it must have started to sag and the exhaust hangers were looking quite tired - happy to replace them as compared to the price of the exhaust it's not a lot but would have been better to get it all done in one go. Never mind, I am going back on Tuesday anyway.

Mixed news today.

New aux water pump and rocker gasket both done. Hopefully I can forget about them for a few years!

Exhaust - they moved it about and it's very close to / touching the rear axle. So much for the perfect Jetex fit! Got to go back again on Monday when they will cut a bit off to give them the adjustment they need to get it perfect.

How much is the car lowered? The Jetex would be designed to fit a standard car. Exhausts often knock on the rear axle when the car is lowered. Sometimes they can be adjusted enough, but sometimes they will also need cutting etc.

Tried the new cable yet? Got one the other day too, but not tried it yet...

How much is the car lowered? The Jetex would be designed to fit a standard car. Exhausts often knock on the rear axle when the car is lowered. Sometimes they can be adjusted enough, but sometimes they will also need cutting etc.

This is the odd thing really - it is not lowered at all. Still on standard springs but dampers replaced with Bilstein B4s but it's still pretty high up. Bit frustrated really but hopefully with a small chop and a bit of a wiggle they can resolve it for me.

Tried the new cable yet?

Yes - I can get codes that tell me I need to buy bits! I need to investigate what it can really tell me but it is doing the basic job thanks.

Just back from the garage and HURRAY :dance: no more banging from the exhaust. They had to cut about an inch off to make it fit. Apparently Jetex has started making them longer. Anyway it fits properly now and it sounds good too!

Also fitted a new blue temp sender and have got an ISV to fit too.

Fitted a "new" ISV this evening. I had bought it on eBay for a bargain price. Bit of a risk but there you go. Anyway, swapped it over, quite pleased with myself as I had done my research and it was a straightforward job. But the flipping car wouldn't start or run with the new one fitted.

So I gave the old one a wipe with a cloth, got a cotton bud and cleaned it a bit more, got some muck out of it, squirted in some lock lube, gave it a bit more of a wipe and refitted it. Bingo, car starting and running much better. Switched them back to make sure I hadn't done anything daft but still wouldn't work so back to the lightly cleaned and lubed original and working again. :thumbleft:

Fortunately the eBay seller has agreed to refund me so nothing really lost there.

Also replaced the skinny spare wheel in the boot with a speedline (I have a couple of spares) as I think my 288 brakes might not fit under my skinny spare. :scratch: Am I paranoid? :shrug: Now got a big lump in the boot carpet!

You just need a late mk3 golf 16" spare mate thats what ive got in mine fits over the 288's as the late mk3 came with 288's