Sign in to follow this  
PROVR6

Rad elbow problem. Aaagh Help please

Thanks guys for the advice and encouragement.

Cazza - Yeah definitely would only use VAG.

Sods law took the missus' MX5 for a cambelt service today and they said it needs rear coils and front discs/pads. £150 bill shot upto £500.

Got a spare scorpio which I use for my ebay deals and reluctantly the wife had to drive it only for the exhaust to go. Unbeliveable 3 cars all out of action together.

Too be fair, Ive not had too much go wrong with the corrado, but as its not a daily it will have to wait a couple or so weeks

I would only go VAG with a replacement rad. You get what you pay for. Try it yourself- my first one took an afternoon a few years back, and I'm not very mechanically minded. Taking the front end off is actually dead simple!

wow you took the front end off i just took mine out from the engine bay admitedly you have to remove the lights and fan housing off and some boost pipe work but taking the front end of seems abit excessive

Mine has air con (albeit it don't work) so is probably more cramped. How easy is it to do in the bay?

Sparks - you could be right about the clip, as that is it the exact loaction where I first noticed the coolant, it seemed to get an air bubble every second or so after the engine was switched off.

I've recently started using a spray when loosening any bolts that has worked wonders for me on the Corrado and my old Mk2 16v ( which has lots of old rusty bolts!). Don't know the rules on product placement, but it's called Super Crack, i think different manufacturers make it. Usually i don't really believe these things, but this really has been amazing.

Apparently when you spray it on it cools the area and the cooling effect sooks the lubricant into the join. So far everything I've used it on has come off with liberal amounts of the stuff.

Might not help now, but hopefully if others try in the future, it will make life easier!

I had a leak from there still after replacing my elbow and it was new rad time but I think we've established that! If you've got aircon I'd say its easier just to take the front off as there really isnt much room otherwise. Whilst you've got all that off I'd seriously consider doing the crack pipe and thermo housing and elbow too if they've not been replaced yet. You'll be kicking yourself if they fail a couple of months down the line.

I've recently started using a spray when loosening any bolts that has worked wonders for me on the Corrado and my old Mk2 16v ( which has lots of old rusty bolts!). Don't know the rules on product placement, but it's called Super Crack, i think different manufacturers make it. Usually i don't really believe these things, but this really has been amazing.

Apparently when you spray it on it cools the area and the cooling effect sooks the lubricant into the join. So far everything I've used it on has come off with liberal amounts of the stuff.

Might not help now, but hopefully if others try in the future, it will make life easier!

You can get it at halfords.loctite freeze and release. yes its good stuff for exhaust bolts and very rusty stuff but wont recommend using it anywhere near plastic cause it will make it very brittle.

Not got around to changing the Rad yet, as I'm waiting for the warmer weather.

I thought Id check on the coolant level anyhow and there was none left in the expansion tank. It took about 1/2 a jug to fill it back up to the max so there is still some in the system.

Now I know its definitely leaking at the rad elbow, but surely it won't leak from there will it while its just standing? (Ive not been driving the car during the winter).

Can it leak past the headgasket while the car is standing and not being driven?