Sign in to follow this  
Mystic Rado

Sick Golf, what do you reckon?

Just taken my daily Mk3 Golf GTi in for MoT and it's failed on sill corrosion. It's done 140,000 miles, has Solitudes fitted, four good tyres - two of them brand new - and is otherwise in good nick bar the odd scratch and some shite lowering springs.

Reckon it'll cost at least 200 quid to get the sills MoT-able.

To be honest, I don't really like the car much anyway. It's a stodge wagon and has all the personality of a dead sheep. The medium term plan has always been to flog it and replace with another Mk 2 8-valve GTi, when I find a sound but not stupidly expensive one - have a tweaked TSR motor and other bits from my old Mk2 to go into it.

Don't know what to do with it now. Bit the bullet, get it welded and through the MoT and then carry on driving it or sell it as is. Or MoT it and then sell it in which case it possibly not worth getting it fixed...

Hmmm... :?

in the same boat, own a mk3 golf gti as a daily.

this winter found the usual leak in the passenger footwell :( got a rusty sill which will need replacing, it needs all new discs and pads, a good service to VERY soon... it has got a few months tax and mot on it, i dont know what to do?

i think it would be worth sorting yours out, then selling it with a fresh MOT, im sure it would fetch between 600-800 quid?? but mine hasnt ever let me down and im sure with some TLC i may as well just keep it :shrug:

Yep, that's what I'm coming round to. Get it fixed up then sell it once I've found a half-decent replacement. I'm even thinking a Focus Estate since I seem to spend half my life carting mountain bikes around. I'm going to get a quote for the repairs and take things from there.