Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

Best engine mounts

The VR is a different kettle of fish -

On the VR i'd say the front VT mount is a must, the standard one is not really strong enough, especially considering how close the inlet manifold is to the bonnet - the only thing I would say is don't just replace the front one, if that's knackered then the rear mounts will also need changing.

Been in several VR's with the VT front mount (and even Chris Gaskell runs one on his Storm) and you don't seem to get any excessive noise / vibrations like with the 4 cyl models.

On the VR i'd say the front VT mount is a must, the standard one is not really strong enough, especially considering how close the inlet manifold is to the bonnet - the only thing I would say is don't just replace the front one, if that's knackered then the rear mounts will also need changing.

Been in several VR's with the VT front mount (and even Chris Gaskell runs one on his Storm) and you don't seem to get any excessive noise / vibrations like with the 4 cyl models.

So if you were replacing all 3 mounts on a VR which mounts would you use and where. I know you said the VT front mount but would you use the road or the competion ones?

Could you state which grade and where please!

Cheers Andrew

you hardly get any with the 4 cylinder either, honestly

I beg to differ!! I'll take you out in my car next time we're at a meet, Swompy, and you can see what you think. I personally find it excessive compared to an OE mount.

yes compared to an oe mount there is more but they really are not that bad. Maybe because i did all 3 thats why it was not too bad for some reason.

I only did the front one when VT started marketing the mounts. It's still there and doing its job. With the 3 year old OEM factory fiited unit, 20,000 mile used, I had 1st & 2nd Gear jamming on change due to the torque moving the engine and locking up the cable change. (Nothing visibly wrong with the VW one on removal but it's badly designed to cause failure as well as being too soft.)

Fitting the VT stopped the jamming and effectively made the gear change like a rod change system. Increased vibration, well not notice any.

On VRs, which VibraT front mount do ppl here use - the fast road or the competition/racing one ??

I have been advised differently by two sources :confused4:

VR6 - Vibra-Technics 950M

8v/16v/G60 - Vibra-Technics 750M

But these part numbers are 10 years old.

IMO engine mountings should match the car's use and engine torque. If you have a lot of torque, fling the car about through the bends like you stole it and want very quick and repeatable gearshifts, then uprated mounts are a must, it's as simple as.... :D

Vibration is an unavoidable side effect. You can't have your battenberg AND eat it.

I would add that on the VR6, you can get away with stiffening up the mounts a lot more than the 4 pots before vibration becomes intrusive, for obvious reasons.

For high torque applications, I find the VT competition front, VT fast road rear and rubber gearbox works well. Add a VT comp gearbox mount if you want rifle bolt gearshifts, but expect some vibration and a healthy dose of transmission whine.

It's the gearbox mount that adds the most vibration and noise, so choose that one carefully.

Awesome :) smooth pulling away, smooth gear changes and only a little steering wheel vibration when idling - no dashboard rattle. The whole car feels more solid, haveing said that i'm comparing that to driving with a shagged standard front mount.

Thanks Shaung60 8)

Got a new Vag mount fitted today ( big thanks to cazzavr for helping me fit it :salute: )

Car feels alot better now. Engine feels smooth, gear change has gotton alot better too :D

im still undecided which mounts to go for, either VT road, genuine vw or if there are any simular alternatives? Im lookin to replace all 3 on my 16v asap as mine are nackered. was wondering where the best place is to buy non genuine mounts and how hard a job it would be to change them myself?

im still undecided which mounts to go for, either VT road, genuine vw or if there are any simular alternatives? Im lookin to replace all 3 on my 16v asap as mine are nackered. was wondering where the best place is to buy non genuine mounts and how hard a job it would be to change them myself?

on a 16v I'd recommend http://www.vwspares.co.uk/ for FEBI mounts, nearest you'll get to VAG and much cheaper,

I now have, as of yesterday, a VT competition front mount fitted - and whilst there is a noticeable increase in vibration, it is only when stationary with the engine is idling. Once on the move I cannot really detect any more noise/vibration at all :)

Just my input for those still pondering what to go for.

I might be going a bit mad but I'm sure I have read somewhere about the holes in the VAG front mount getting filled in by someone to make it a little more like a solid rubber mount.

Is this just daft or does it make a helpful difference?

I might be going a bit mad but I'm sure I have read somewhere about the holes in the VAG front mount getting filled in by someone to make it a little more like a solid rubber mount.

Is this just daft or does it make a helpful difference?

Not daft! :lol: You can buy the poly stuff in a kit and pour it into the holes. A few 1.8T guys have done this with dogbone mounts etc.

Wouldn't do it with the VR6 front mount. It's a design disaster waiting to happen as it is. I'd be embarrassed in my aero engineering if I had designed that mount. Designed to fatigue and break up. As some peeps know from that little sports hump in the bonnet they've collected.

Filling is more likely to help it on its way. Get rid and fit an alternative such as VT one.