Sign in to follow this  
UseOnceDestroy

What Manifold?

I'm looking into replacing my stock manifold to increase performance and I wanted opinions on any particular part I should be looking at.

Any suggestions and direct links would be much appreciated.

My Corrado is a 1994 2.9 VR6

Cheers

Honestly ... I'm not sure! :? I'm new to all this. I have been talking to a tuning garage, I told them I wanted to improve performance by having it dyno tuned, he advised I replaced the stock manifold, so I assume he was talking about the exhaust. Fancy giving me a short lesson?! haha :D

He could also mean the Inlet manifold though.

You can replace the exhaust manifold though, with a stainless steel exhaust manifold - Which can cost between £160 for a raceland manifold, right up to the supersprint manifold which costs £400 and odd. Even though the supersprint will be top quality, alot of people go for the raceland manifold (inlcuding myself) and its superb quality esp for the price. Generally a 6 branch exhaust manifold wont give you any more bhp. I found at most, it improved the throttle response.

But, if he did mean the inlet manifold, the Schrick vsr manifolds are the weapon of choice, but are expensive for what power gains you will get - personally i've not got any experience of the schick manifold so cant really help you there.

You will be told that gaining significant more power from a VR wont come cheap.

I'm guessing he was on about a Schrick/VW VSR manifold. This won't give that much more power, but will change the delivery, producing more low down torque. It's expensive for what it is IMHO, and would cost nearly as much as supercharging.

If you're on a budget I would go for 263 cams, decat, BMC air filter, remap. You should see around 220bhp with this. If you're happy to spend a bit, go for a supercharger and you will see 250-300bhp.

Turbo is the best performance upgrade IMHO, but is more costly.

Give DG Autotech a shout for some good advice.

HTH!

Thanks for your quick replies, this forum is the nuts.

Well I'm definatly on a budget so maybe the Schrick/VW VSR is worth forgetting ... for now! ... But I'm definitley interested in the raceland manifold, 263 cams, decat and BMC air filter if it would take it to 220. If you can spare a few minutes, could you give me more information on each of the above, any site links would be amazing if you know where they can be purchased.

Thanks again, the help is appreciated :notworthy:

or combine all that money spent with cams,inlet,ex etc on a supercharger for similar money's but allot moore hp and torque,... :)

Can you stick a supercharger straight onto the side of a standard engine. Or do other things need changing with it?

if your lookin for the 263 cams - schimel performance are a good place to start

for a race land manifold - ebay or keep your eyes open on forums

personally i prefer the dubpower manifold - dubpower web page or storm developments, which while your on there you could have a gander at supercharges

or combine all that money spent with cams,inlet,ex etc on a supercharger for similar money's but allot moore hp and torque,... :)

Can you stick a supercharger straight onto the side of a standard engine. Or do other things need changing with it?[/quote:22ghrghc]

yeah, your not guna make masive figuers but it will work, with a basic kit

when mine was supercharged, it was a vortech V1 stage 2, no headspacer needed just 440 injector and a re-map (which was crap) but it was pushing out 296bhp and 265lb, with no form of cooling

Gaining significant power from a VR won't be cheap. :D

Haven't you a had a load of problems with your Raceland mani Gaz?

when mine was supercharged, it was a vortech V1 stage 2, no headspacer needed just 440 injector and a re-map (which was crap) but it was pushing out 296bhp and 265lb, with no form of cooling

I have a V9 Stage 2, 440 injectors, mapped at 292. With water injection and decat exhaust and no new map its pushing out 305.

You can strap a charger straight on with only uprated injectors and a remap as long as you don't go over 8 psi.

Gaining significant power from a VR won't be cheap. :D

Haven't you a had a load of problems with your Raceland mani Gaz?

[/quote:3vnyhurk]

The only issue i had with the Raceland was this 'sucking' (gases travelling through tubular steel) noise i was moaning about, but i could have had that with any stainless steel mani. I wrapped it in heat wrap which deadened the sound a bit, but it was still there. Now that you mention it, i havent noticed it recently (id forgotten all about it :lol: ), not since i fitted the sports cat :D Maybe that quietened it down.

So, get a supercharger, new injectors and a remap and you could get around 290bhp?

The only issue i had with the Raceland was this 'sucking' (gases travelling through tubular steel) noise i was moaning about, but i could have had that with any stainless steel mani. I wrapped it in heat wrap which deadened the sound a bit, but it was still there. Now that you mention it, i havent noticed it recently (id forgotten all about it :lol: ), not since i fitted the sports cat :D Maybe that quietened it down.

So, get a supercharger, new injectors and a remap and you could get around 290bhp?

Yup! ran that for about a year before adding the zorst and water cooling. much cheaper than going turbot being as its half/two thirds the price and a lot less work.

Yup! ran that for about a year before adding the zorst and water cooling. much cheaper than going turbot being as its half/two thirds the price and a lot less work.[/quote:2a7k7xzo]

which SC and how much did it cost you? Is it a DIY job?

which SC and how much did it cost you? Is it a DIY job?

Vortech V9-F, bought second hand from a member on here. he only did a few thousand miles before his engine (rebuilt by himself iirc) went bang and he went 24v. he sold me charger, belts, pipes, mapped ecu and injectors for about 1500 quid i think. it is a diy job, but i have ham fists and preferred to let the professionals handle it.

so you're looking about 1800 with a remap, compared to the stage one turbot kits for about £3k and i don't think that includes a remap either. i also added on a low temp stat, uprated front engine mount and mocal oil cooler at the time too. but you'd need those with a turbo anyway. oh and Schimmel 263 cams.

you can run stage 2 (8 psi) all day long and the engine will not complain as long you have good fans for sitting in traffic, as the charger chucks out a fair amount of heat!

I'm guessing he was on about a Schrick/VW VSR manifold. This won't give that much more power, but will change the delivery, producing more low down torque. It's expensive for what it is IMHO, and would cost nearly as much as supercharging.

If you're on a budget I would go for 263 cams, decat, BMC air filter, remap. You should see around 220bhp with this. If you're happy to spend a bit, go for a supercharger and you will see 250-300bhp.

Turbo is the best performance upgrade IMHO, but is more costly.

Give DG Autotech a shout for some good advice.

HTH!

I agree - that's a pretty fair summary!

Ok I've sourced the 263 cams, looking at around £285. If anyone else is looking for these, let me know as the seller needs a couple more orders to make it worth his while. I'm going for the 6 branch manifold from DUBpower at £330.

Can anyone give me some info on sports cats or decat in general. What is the best option? I hear it's illegal, is that right? Will I have to remove it for the MOT?

Just hoping my mk3 will sell now so I can throw the cash straight back at my Corrado!!

Ok I've sourced the 263 cams, looking at around £285. If anyone else is looking for these, let me know as the seller needs a couple more orders to make it worth his while. I'm going for the 6 branch manifold from DUBpower at £330.

Can anyone give me some info on sports cats or decat in general. What is the best option? I hear it's illegal, is that right? Will I have to remove it for the MOT?

Just hoping my mk3 will sell now so I can throw the cash straight back at my Corrado!!

If you want to allow more flow through the exhaust imo the best way is the sports cat. Just fitted a miltek sports cat to my vr and it definately feels more pokey. As for decatting it - it is a legal requirement for any car after 92 needs a CAT. So you will need to refit the CAT for MOT time. The advantage of the sports CAT is, although it costs a bit more, is it will still pass its MOT whilst fitted, while still allow the exhaust gases to flow better. Though it really does depend if you mind refitting the CAT once a year.

Also, im not sure, but police may do spot checks by putting a probe up your exhaust (oooeeeer :lol:) to check the emissions - maybe someone could clarify that?

If you want to allow more flow through the exhaust imo the best way is the sports cat. Just fitted a miltek sports cat to my vr and it definately feels more pokey. As for decatting it - it is a legal requirement for any car after 92 needs a CAT. So you will need to refit the CAT for MOT time. The advantage of the sports CAT is, although it costs a bit more, is it will still pass its MOT whilst fitted, while still allow the exhaust gases to flow better. Though it really does depend if you mind refitting the CAT once a year.

Also, im not sure, but police may do spot checks by putting a probe up your exhaust (oooeeeer :lol:) to check the emissions - maybe someone could clarify that?

I just searched for the miltek sports cat ... http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust.pro ... iantid=122 ...

It says that I'll need the miltek sport cat back system too ... am i looking at the right one? Is there a sports cat that will fit directly on to what I already have? Is there any that you can suggest?

I just searched for the miltek sports cat ... http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust.pro ... iantid=122 ...

It says that I'll need the miltek sport cat back system too ... am i looking at the right one? Is there a sports cat that will fit directly on to what I already have? Is there any that you can suggest?

Nah mate thats not the case at all. I have it fitted to a raceland manifold and supersprint exhaust.