Sign in to follow this  
STVR6

my family car failed mot on 1 thing..advise please

We have a mg zt cdti family car, very tidy 1 owner etc, nice car normally use same garage for my family car and van but its gone after years !!! And the only other garage i use is busy finishing my corrado so i went to a while you wait at asda knowing the car felt drove spot on !

Any way it failed on.. Offside rear brake pipe excessively corroded !!

Is this a common mot blag to get money out of me or true.. what is the brake pipe ? as i asked him, oh so you got change the brake hose, he "said no ! just a section of the brake line" !

Lastly he wants £60 +vat on top to do it, is that fair or shall i take it better local garage and pay £35 mot with them ?

any advise please ! thanks

Jack it up and have a look your self..if it looks all crusty and flakey its needs doing if it looks smooth then its prob ok.

sounds like a blag to me as the lines usualy all corrode at the same rate so its funny how just one of the lines is gone :shrug:

they dont corrode at the same rate,it all varies on road conditions vehicle structure etc. Brake pipes are a grey area,you cant tell how far its corroded and how long it will last under pressure,the only sign is when all rust is removed is that the metal turns black so its either fail or pass and advise.

If the mot tester is unhappy with the condition he will fail it and why would he rip you off there are far more easy item to change than a brake pipe. Also would you want to chance a brake pipe blowing when slowing down? I wouldn't ... :?