Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

312mm Callipers Round The Wrong Way?

I was just wondering if you could put the callipers on the wrong way i.e left on right and right on left? I say this as Ive been having problems bleeding the brakes at the moment!

I spoke to Vince at Stealth the other day to book it in for a geometry and he mentioned if I had the MK4 rears on, and I have, because the bleed nipple is in a different position to 12 o'clock or something. Sometimes they can get air pockets in the top of them. He said to try undoing the bottom calliper bolt and swinging it up with a g clamp on the piston, and bleed it like that.

I was also wondering on the front with the front callipers Ive fitted, are the bleed nipple supposed to be that low? Meaning if I swapped them with each other they would be higher, but would the flexi fit both ways?

Sorry for the dodgy explanation!

My bleed nipples are at the top on my 288mm calipers which are the same as 312mm, air rises so nipples should be at the top

Right that could explain things a bit cheers. Ive bled the system about three times now manually and with the proper VW pressure bleeder at the Audi garage my dad works at!

It failed the MOT on Saturday and Ive got to get it back on for the retest this Saturday. Thats given me a bit more hope of getting it ready now!

No worries i had the same dilema when fitting mine i thought which ones goes where but then thought air goes up to escape so put them on that way and no probs atall

Yeah I was in a bit of a rush to get it back on the road, Ive been without it since early October! I did think about it when I was fitting them, but not about air, just how the brake flexis sat, oh well :roll:

not sure how true it is,

but ive been told to give the caliper a few smacks with a rubber hammer while your bleeding, should help move the air apparently??

not sure how true it is,

but ive been told to give the caliper a few smacks with a rubber hammer while your bleeding, should help move the air apparently??

Yeah Ive heard that to.

No need though, as I swapped them round and they bled up a treat! I now have an MOT at long last! :D