Sign in to follow this  
marmite monster

just found out my corrado is cat D

thought that i sold my car today but after some hpi checking turns out its cat d :mad2: so piissed off had no idear should have check it my self but as its an old car didnt bother, its not like buying a 40k porsche!

anyway anyone els in the same boat? what does this mean in regards to the value of the car now.?

i know of corrados that have been writen off for just dented wings because the pannles are no longer avalible and because insurance companys wont use second hand parts etc.

the car is super straight just anoyed that because it says cat d on some stupid register my car is now worth fauck all :censored:

aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :censored: rrrrrrrr :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :( annoyed :D

Your upset is understandable and its easy to be wise after the event. I think as you say many cars of this age will have some history. Personally I would endeavour to gather documentary evidence to show the extent of any loss or damage and subsequent repairs. Together with a willingness to allow an engineeers report this may reassure potential purchasers although the price will inevitably suffer. Many years ago I had a Capri 2.0S written off because the front Recaros and RS alloys were stolen the car was perfect

I am supprised being a Cat D should affect the sale. I know everyone liek a perfect car but when they are the age of ours then some of them are going to have had this happen.

Cat D is minor danage and does not require a VIC test just another MOT and its back on the road so it cannot be major damage.

I wouldn't care about it being Cat D as long as the car is straight and has been properly repaired. My dad has purchased serveral Written off cars with minor damage and used them for years. Then again Milage and service records don't interest me on cars this old.

Some Idiot Hit my car in the street a couple of years back and a new wing headlight and repair to bumper and bonnet must have nearly put mine into the written off section. As its not a minter but was all I could afford when I brought it.

I guess its just preferance of the buyer but a nice repaired well looked after car is better than a Never damaged but never looked after example.

Good luck with the sale anyway.

There will be someone willing to look at the car for what it is now not the history :)

yeah cheers guys hope people can get past the "oh my god it must be 2 cars welded together:" stereotype

the car is awsome and ive edited and stated in my advert i welcome any inspection!

cat d not really a mjor issue unless you rthe buyer then you try and use that against the seller..... :roll:

some insurance compaines will not touch it though just bear in mind i had to sell my mk2 because of this....

yeh but does your insurer know its cat d?!

my old valver was an uneconomical repair/ cat d, sold it no problem as was only cosmetic damage, but was a little cheaper than i would have liked :(

Do you have to notify the insurers if its a Cat D then? Ive never got an HPI check done on mine as it was a fair price and it wouldn't have stopped me buying it anyway. Don't think it is but I guess it could be. I don;t remember the insurers asking if it had ever been written off.

Problems come when you do have an accident (you might never have one) then the insurers know and the payout is next to nothing, thats a reason why i pulled out of buying Simons car as i cant afford to lose the money on the payout if anything did happen. You can of course tell the insurance but again some companies wont touch them,

AJ

Problems come when you do have an accident (you might never have one) then the insurers know and the payout is next to nothing, thats a reason why i pulled out of buying Simons car as i cant afford to lose the money on the payout if anything did happen. You can of course tell the insurance but again some companies wont touch them,

AJ

exactly what happend to me and my mk2 .....gutted

So am I right in saying the insurers would cover the costs of damage caused to others if the accident was my fault? Just I wouldn't get much for my car (assuming FComp insurance)

So am I right in saying the insurers would cover the costs of damage caused to others if the accident was my fault? Just I wouldn't get much for my car (assuming FComp insurance)

correct, and lets face it unless you pay the extra for an agreed value you get nothing near the value of the car back anyway.

Well Karl, i've decided to take the plunge and have Si's car, going to fork out the extra on the agreed valuation so hopefully will come out the other side happier if anything would happen, it's the only way i would do it, declare it all to the insurance and get an agreed evaluation that way you know what ground your on

AJ

Just text the reg plate to 83600 it costs about £3/4 pounds. They then send you back info on the car... Simples :wave:

"Written Off" is a scary thing that puts many buyers off. What it could mean is that it was a total loss, as in the cost of repairs out-weighted the cost of the car, I had this with my Mk1 Golf. However, to many people (potential buyers of said car) it does have a tendancy to mean that the car has been involved in some kind of major RTC and now is unsafe. As said it shouldn't put some people off, however saying that I wouldn't buy one as normally there are so many other Corrado's to choose from.

Wifeys c was cat C & when it was "written off" for a second time the insurance comp didnt want to pay out a lot at all,but with a engineeers report they valued it as the market value with no alteration being a cat c car.

Believe it or not I bought this golf from a salvage auction,it was a cat d car.

I bought my rado JAN 09 AND I had a hpi check done befor I bought it and found out it was a cat d in 97.The guy I bought it from didnt know it was a cat d.I had an engineer check it out and only after he looked at it told him it was a cat d in 97 and he said he couldnt see anything that the repair was a fantatic job and you wouldnt know it was crashed.