poll250

Poll250s VR Turbo

good luck chief hope it goes well

Cheers bud, how's yours coming along now? You got it mapped yet?

I will hunt you down Poll!! I can't believe you're local and have stalked my driveway without popping in for a cuppa! :p

We'll meet oneday soon Jon! Get yours back on the road!

Will be worth it. Could you find out the exact clutch that they are fitting please.

I'll ask Vince when I speak to him next, I'm sure I'll hear about some part of my car falling off soon enough LOL

All I know is it's a Helix jobbie, I assume the same as the one in the demo car, which felt perfect. You've got a paddle clutch in at the moment yeah?

Well time flys doesn't it!

I've been meaning to update this thread for ages with the new Power/Torque graphs and finally got round to it today.

Overall I'm really happy with the car, it caused both me and Stealth a heck of a lot of problems, seemingly spitting its dummy out of the pram on a daily basis whilst there (oil cooler,radiator, engine mount and gearbox mount to name a few). It's always been that kind of car thoug, so it was nice to know it wasn't just me that experienced it!

We rushed to get it ready the first time and it'd made 320bhp, but was quite hesitant on part throttle and Vince wasn't 100% happy so it went back in for some changes.

I'm quite pleased with myself for researching and coming up with a good MAF solution: Normally on older coilpack (AG ecu) VRs you have to keep the standard MAF and use a MAF clamp to limit the voltage sent to the ECU by the extra airflow. On later cars you can remove the MAF element and put it into a 4" housing, which makes things a lot happier. Basically we used a later CP ecu, brand new MAF and 4" housing, and some jiggery pockery to get round the immob.

When coupled with some more time on the rollers it made an extra 20bhp amd 20lb/ft, and it drives so much better both on part and full throttle :)

I went with a Custom 2.5" exhaust with 2 boxes, one where the cat should be so it looks like a sports cat

I also had the Racelogic Traction Control put in while it was there, which really helps when if you want to make fast progress in the wet. It's also very good at limiting slip between 2nd and 3rd. The winter months should hold a proper test for it though, but it's nice to know it's there just incase.

I've had it back about 6 weeks now and it's been faultless. It drinks petrol when you give it some welly: I got 21.5mpg measured across 2 tanks after getting it back! but if driven normally it's not really much worse than standard petrolwise. Then again, if I was at all worried by petrol consumption I wouldn't have done this! But then again, it is nice to know that it's more fuel efficient than a comparitively powered Supercharged VR!

Performance wise it's outstanding, by far the fastest thing I've ever been in and I'll never get tired of my friends faces after a drive in it. It's certainly made my normal roads a lot more interesting! I've grown to love the Turbo noise, although I do still miss that VR growl when off boost!

A massive thanks to Vince and everyone at Stealth. I'm suprised they didn't get sick of my car during the time they had it, but they truly have done an amazing job, and at pretty fair price too! LEGENDS!

I've got some engine bay shots somewhere I'll hopefully dig out tonight!

Edited by poll250

Splendid results mate! :D

My car's path to boost wasn't a smooth one either but it's definitely worth the hassle :cool:

I love looking at VRT 'ski jump' torque curves, they're bloody awesome!!

You can really see the difference a short runner intake makes though, comparing my torque curve to yours. It helps the torque stay flat to the limiter, which gives it more top end vigour!. Not a criticism of yours at all, just an observation :D

All sounds good. Where did you get your exhaust done?

I'm going to get a custom system from turbo back, was going to try longlife in Weston on the Green.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Fantastic :) Clear to see you're very pleased with the results.

Nothing quite prepared me for the acceleration the first time I came onto an A road in 3rd gear, in the Stealth VR6 Turbo and put my foot into the carpet.. I felt like i'd just been fired out of a cannon. The noise and the torque from the thing were on another level. Absolutely sensational! :)

I do really believe it makes the VR6 super-car quick and would be very surprised if one wouldn't be able to catch out some properly expensive metal when the driver is caught napping!

I do really believe it makes the VR6 super-car quick and would be very surprised if one wouldn't be able to catch out some properly expensive metal when the driver is caught napping!

Like a Lamborghini Gallardo for example? ;)

Thanks for the comments guys, really happy with it mechanically now, just a few bits to tidy up body/interior wise and I should be happy for a while! Been away for a week and I'm really looking forward to a good drive of it later.

Alex: Stealth did a custom 2.5" 2-box exhaust when it was in for the turbo. Quality seems very good, and it sounds good at idle with the 2 boxes (and no cat). How is yours coming along anyway? Are you going G60 turbo or have you dropped a VR in it? You should pop over sometime for a chat :)

Oh, btw do you still have my rear caliper wind back tool? I need to change my rear pads in the next few days.

Cheers for the info, I didn't even know stealth did exhausts so will get mine done there as well whilst it's there for mapping. I think what you've had done is exactly what I want.

I've decided to give a 20vT a go!

Yep, still got your caliper wind back tool. Will chuck it in the car at the weekend so will have it with me, you living in Oxford now? I can drop it in one evening?

Look forward to seeing your motor, sounds awesome

Thanks for the comments guys, really happy with it mechanically now, just a few bits to tidy up body/interior wise and I should be happy for a while! Been away for a week and I'm really looking forward to a good drive of it later.

Alex: Stealth did a custom 2.5" 2-box exhaust when it was in for the turbo. Quality seems very good, and it sounds good at idle with the 2 boxes (and no cat). How is yours coming along anyway? Are you going G60 turbo or have you dropped a VR in it? You should pop over sometime for a chat :)

Oh, btw do you still have my rear caliper wind back tool? I need to change my rear pads in the next few days.

Cheers for the info, I didn't even know stealth did exhausts so will get mine done there as well whilst it's there for mapping. I think what you've had done is exactly what I want.

I've decided to give a 20vT a go!

Yep, still got your caliper wind back tool. Will chuck it in the car at the weekend so will have it with me, you living in Oxford now? I can drop it in one evening?

Look forward to seeing your motor, sounds awesome

I think Stealth get a guy in to do exhausts, the price is pretty reasonable I think too.

Moved back to Hanborough from Oxford a few months ago to save for a deposit, do you remmeber how to get there? If you could drop it over after work that'd be great, it makes a horrible noise whenever I brake now so I need to get the pads changed asap beofre I ruin the disc! I think it was my fault for adjusting the handbrake badly!

About time I threw up some engine bay shots:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48247[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48248[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48249[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48250[/ATTACH]

And the customary rear-side shot!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48251[/ATTACH]

Yikes I better get that tightened back down asap.

Hmm in my rush to take photos I didn't even notice that, good spot Kev!

He he, you know me mate.... I'll spot anything like that a mile away ;)

If your application will allow it, I would recommend you switch to studs and copper nuts mate.

Bolts tend to back out. I had the same problem, which is probably why I noticed it immediately!

Looks great though, Uncle Vince's usual high standards :D

Replaced my rear pads with some Pagids the other day (£17 from ECP!) after one of the rear pads wore down to the metal. All the others had a decent amount of meat left, so will have to keep an eye on it. I've got a feeling that I'd tightened the handbrake a bit too much on that side, so it was always a little on. I may have freed the piston up a bit when winding it back in anyhow.

Anyway, braking is now a little improved over my old pads, and the horrible scraping noise I'd had for ages has gone! hurrah!

In other news, I'm just in the process of buying a Cream Leather interior (I don't like the word beige!) and couple of other things to get the cabin top notch! :)

shame you've moved away from Oxford matey, would have been nice to have seen this at least once!

plans for the red seats?

shame you've moved away from Oxford matey, would have been nice to have seen this at least once!

plans for the red seats?

I'm only in Hanborough so not really that far away mate!

Not sure what I'll do with the red seats at the moment, Could do with a little work to get it mint again, but would fit nicely in a mk2... :)

:D well i could do with the lower seating position! I am glad I have a sunroof cutout in the lining, just about leaves clearance!

What are you look at for the seats? I've got a mint rainbow in there at the mo so I should be able to sell that on for a few pennies. Is fitting a corrado bench in a golf very difficult?

:D well i could do with the lower seating position! I am glad I have a sunroof cutout in the lining, just about leaves clearance!

What are you look at for the seats? I've got a mint rainbow in there at the mo so I should be able to sell that on for a few pennies. Is fitting a corrado bench in a golf very difficult?

The rear bench goes in easily enough. You really do want the bottom brackets from a Corrado to weld in though, makes life easier.

The Corrado seats are narrower than golf seats, so there is a gap down the sides between the seat and doorcard.

The seats are on mk2 runners, hence they sit a bit high in the Corrado (one of the main reasons I'm changing them) They should sit fine in the mk2. I think I'm going to get a touch up kit from Furniture clinic and freshen them up a bit before selling them. I won't be asking crazy money so Ill give you a shout Jon :)

Have you ever been to one of the monthly VW meets at the Kassam stadium? I keep getting pestered to go.

Great news thanks mate!

No I've never been to a meet at the stadium. If it's anything like some other oxford vw club meets, I'm not sure how good it will be to be honest! My experiences are they're not very friendly, and if you're car isn't elite spec then no-one really cares at all. Kinda sad really.

If you find it's quite good, or feel like going in convoy that would be cool :D i might be able to rope Prod into it also, to bolster the C convoy! :D

Just to keep a note for myself for the future, I remembered a few parts that were fitted at the time of the Turbo by Stealth:

-Replaced Gearbox mount with a VT one, now have VT gearbox and rear engine mount, and a BFI front mount.

-Reconditioned starter motor.

-Lightened and Balanced Flywheel

-New Clutch Slave cylinder

-Helix clutch: Feels great and deals with the power very well. Not at all heavy!

-Wallbro intank pump with Stealth bracket: No noisier than standard, tend to keep the tank over 1/4 full to stop fuel deprivation problems.

-Brand new MAF to go in the 4" housing.

-One of the last Genuine (£220!) VR Radiators from VW

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of stuff too?

I should get the new interior by the end of next week I hope. I'm really excited to see what it'll look like, but probably more excited by the prospect of sitting at the correct height!

Edited by poll250

So I had the red Recaros in my car for a good 18months, and while I love the look of them there were still a few things that annoyed me about them:

1.They sat a couple of inches higher on mk2 subframes, and I'm 6'2 so my head scraped the roof!

2.I didn't do 100% top job first time around, so the black was starting to wear through a bit after daily use.

3.The door cards were black cloth (Well grey cloth, sprayed black)

Since the rest of the car is pretty mint, mechanically at least, I thought I'd do it properly, and began looking for a cheap grey leather to dye red, the idea being the lighter colour should take the dye better.

After a lot of searching, I decided people were asking wayyyy too much for shabby grey interiors ( I think they are still for sale as a result) and started looking at black interiors. I then saw Quicky1980s members thread, and the combo of Aqua-Blue and Beige/Cream with black plastics looked amazing.

So a deal was done with Emu for his freshly refurbed Beige leather, and 3 weeks later I was fitting it to me car. I took the opportunity to fit a load of Silent Coat sound deadening to the doors, 3/4 panels and around the fuel tank. I also replaced most broken clips and sticky-back felted around all the clips, in an attempt to silence the creaks and rattles. I had a load of bubble wrap left over from the seats, so I stuffed that in the 3/4 panels for good measure.

It took two days in total to go over the whole interior, and I've still got the dash to do! The result is incredible though. The doors open and close with a nice clunk, I can't hear the Wallbro fuel pump whirring away anymore, neither the annoying motorway drone of the straight-through exhaust system. It just feels so solid over bumps now it's amazing!

It's also lovely sitting at the correct height, the whole thing just feels better and nicer to be in!

Here's a few photos of the end result, super happy :)