Sign in to follow this  
carpoid

My dash started smoking

What a nightmare of a day i've had, first someone fitted a tyre on the wrong way round, then;

I went for an MOT, the guy comes out and tells me theres smoke pouring out of the dashboard!!

It happened when the lights were on.

Its been blowing fuses for the mirrors which also stops the electric windows from working, related?

any ideas or should i just go to an Auto Electrician?

Matt

I used to get smoke pouring out of my indicator stalks/steering column, I eventually pinned it down to dust settling on and between the indicator contacts and burning, causing plumed of smoke at random intervals..

using the indicators and blowing between then seemed to clears it. Been about 4 years since it last did it though.

If you have electrical gremlins, and smoke actually coming out the dash, I would be wary that some of the electrical insulation is breaking down (eg on the light circuit), and causing the smoking.. how old is your car out of interest?

If it is this, I would be careful as it 'could' result in a full on fire..

the loom/wiring from the back of the headlight switch to the fuseboard is a common thing to burst into smoke when the switch breaks

Thanks for your help guys.

I'd say it must be the insulation breaking down, it smelt like melting plastic, started coming out of the vent and vent open/close thing nearest the drivers side window.

Does make me wonder about the dust though, my cars been sitting in the garage for over 2 months now i think, havn't driven it for a while.

I used to get a very small puff of smoke if i just held the wiper stalk up enough to get the wipers to clear the screen every minute or so in light rain.

My headlight switch has been replaced twice last year, the original one died, then i had a brand new one give up on me in under a week. The one i've got now has to be pushed hard from the off position to get the headlights on! Just the parking/side lights were on when the smoke was coming out.

I've booked it into an Auto Electrician for Wednesday.

I went for an MOT, the guy comes out and tells me theres smoke pouring out of the dashboard!!

It happened when the lights were on.

Matt

Unfortunately this is a common problem on Corrados.

The post from RW1 in this thread will give you all the info and how to prevent it in the future.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=31462

Thanks for that link mate.

That would be exactly the cause of my problems then, damn headlight switch again, looks like i'll another one of those as wel as fixing the loom... :cuckoo:

EDIT Just made one good switch out of 2 switches, neither of them had broken tabs though, different problems! :)

EDIT Just made one good switch out of 2 switches, neither of them had broken tabs though, different problems! :)

It would definately be a good idea to fit the inline fuse as suggested. I must get around to doing it myself at some point :roll: