Sign in to follow this  
millerman

UPRATED PLUG LEADS ????

so as the title says uprated plug leads are they worth the money do they make any difference ??

im looking to get some new ones for my vr6 as i have not changed em for a long time and when i did i used a second hand set

so question is do i go std from the dealer or get 10 mm blue uprated jobbies for like £80 odd ???

help me :brickwall: :brickwall: :help: :help:

Standard from the dealers will probably cost you more. I've never heard a convincing argument that says upraded plug leads are any better than OE - I'd personally just buy OE leads!

Standard from the dealers will probably cost you more. I've never heard a convincing argument that says upraded plug leads are any better than OE - I'd personally just buy OE leads!

kid of what i was thinking any idea how much from the dealers ~(bit late to call em now :D )

ok so they are around the same price so question is why get 8-10 mm leads what are they ment to offer

i can understand uprated coil paks giving a better spark do the thicker leads not carry the spark better ?

(wheres kevheywire when you need him 8) )

People assume they last longer etc because they are thicker but it's usually quite the opposite - I've never had any luck with aftermarket leads yet I've never had a genuine VW set fail on me.

I suppose in some applications the extra insulation helps make them last against high engine temps but again the VAG ones are such good quality and you can buy separate leads if you ever damage one while changing plugs.

8-10mm is no good for the cable management on a VR6 anyway - they'll just look sh1t!

I've had GSF ones on for years and years, in fact they are probably over ten years old now, I'm not sure but I think they are beru too, no problems at all, the coil lead is starting to get a bit out of tolerance, resistance wise, but you'd expect that as it's feeding all 4 plug leads, I'll probably just swap that with a single generic coil lead.

Only thing about GSF is their suppliers vary, so you need to inspect what they are offering you before you buy.