Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

Best place for 288mm track pads

How did they fair on track Kev? :?

You know darn well I don't track my car, so can you please just drop it :roll:

Why do you have such an issue with me using Motorsport parts on a road car? :shrug:

Mmm, 4motions are all 312mm I thought. Are the 312 pads on 288 discs? :confused4:

288/312 with the ATE caliper uses the same pad. There are some subtle differences between pads with wear sensors etc and VW switched between ATE and Lucas calipers in the later cars.

Best bet is to just get some 288 pads from a 97 Golf Highline and they will be the right ones.

Anyone else find the Green stuff pads VERY dusty. They brake great compared to the standard pads i had before but they just cover the wheel in dust.. to the point the dust is hard to shift.

How did they fair on track Kev? :?

You know darn well I don't track my car, so can you please just drop it :roll:

Why do you have such an issue with me using Motorsport parts on a road car? :shrug:

No issues with you Kev... Road driving and track use are two VERY different things, and anyone who thinks differently needs to have a word with themselves.

Personally I think the lengths some of you guys go to on 'just' a road car is a bit extreme. But that's just me. If we all had the same opinions, it'd be a very very boring world.

ref pads - EBC don't list for a VR6 mk3 in Yellow Stuff. Used the mk4 4 mo pads and cut off the wear indicators.

I don't dispute that. I've been around Castle Coombe a few times as a passenger, so I'm familiar with the differences between road and track 8)

It's just something I never got interested in. I enjoy the challenge of an unfamiliar B road more.

I don't know about other folk, but the lengths I go to are the result of replacing things that fail or don't meet my standards. It's not a case of badge engineering or scene points. If for example, 312s keep warping on me on the road (let alone a track!) and it takes decent 4 pots to solve that problem, then so be it. I don't consider that extreme at all. It's merely making the car fit for purpose. Plenty of other road only cars sport 4 pot brakes and powerful engines.

"Extreme for a road only car" in my book would be - Roll cages, 4 point harnesses, fixed seats, removing the interior, GRP or CF panels, brake bias valves, wild cams, race only pads, R888s / A059s etc etc etc.

At the end of the day, a well prepared road car can be good on both track and road, but a more track orientated car is usually terrible on the road. I've tried to find the middle ground and I'm happy with it being more road orientated. You can enjoy a track day in a road car, sure, but for me I'd prefer to do it with a light weight RWD car, like a Caterham :D

i dont know how ye get away with running such small brakes on a track car.

my brothers mk2 track car with a 196bhp abf has brembo calipers off the front of a seat ibiza, genuine seat 305mm discs and pagid rs29 yellows but it still has a habit of warping discs.

even his road car with 322mm two piece discs and gt3 front calipers kept warping discs so now it has 343mm discs.

i dont know, maybe over here we drive our cars harder :shrug: