Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

Oil light flickering

Hi Guys,

VW G60 1992 145k miles

When i dip the clutch, the revs drop just below the idle speed for a couple of ms and the oil light comes on and goes off. I get this when i pull up to a stop or leave the clutch down too long between changes. The car never stalls. Just the oil light flicks on and off. I never get the oil buzzer sound and there is plenty of oil in the car. Topped it up and its still flashing at me.

Comes on as normal when put the key in the ignition and never comes on when i'm driving. Don't get a light when cornering hard either.

Everything else running as normal, not using much oil (always used a little, 1 liter per 5000miles) Oil is 12 months old and 5000 miles.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Beavis

firstly i would stop driving it, could possibly be a duff switch, but considering when the engine is at idle it flickers would indicate to me that there is oil pressure problems, i would seek a good garage and get them to have a look, i know crank shell bearings are prone to wear at higher mileage, at lower engine speed(idle) oil pressure does drop and if there is oil pump or bearing problems then it would indicate this type of concern.

but i wouldnt drive it until its looked at!

hope this helps :brickwall:

Right had another play with the car and checked the oil and the leads in the engine bay.

Now the oil light only flashes when the car is idle. Not while driving and not when cornering.

Just flashes when its idles. But the engine note doesn't change nor does it sound or feel like its going to stall.

Any ideas before i head off to the garage to see what the problem is.

Cheers

Beavisjem

hi i to have a 1992 g60 also with oil pressure probs mine started much like yours light flickering , so out came the engine and a strip down found big end bearings to be worn , so a full on rebuild was done all new bearings shells , oil pump , rebore , pistons , rings , gas flowed head , charger rebulid the list goes on my point is from the minute that engine was started after the rebuild soon as it warmed up the oil pressure dropped down to a very low reading , out it came again was stripped everything was ok , 3 times it came out with various components check or changed , never have found what is causing my low oil pressure , engine has now done over 30k miles and i still have a flickering light on low revs so if you do find whats causing yours i will be very keen to no mate , you name it i have changed or replaced it from sensors to dash display , traced wires tried various oils filters , fitted oil cooler , :shrug:

is there a seperate oil pressure relief valve or is it built into the pump,

is the fault definetly oil pressure low,has the oil pressure been measured at idle and is low?

or is it a wiring or instrument cluster fault.i take the oil pressure switch has been replaced for this concern?

only relief valve i can see is part of pump did consider stripping it and modifying , but i have good pressure from cold , i have fitted oil pressure gauge so kinda rules out original lights and sensors , wonder if any other g60 owners with gauges could tell me what sort of pressures they are getting :salute: