Sign in to follow this  
bigbroony

Single speed wipers!!

I don't use my car on a daily basis these days as I get the use of a company car.Consequently the poor thing suffers from old age and standing outside doing nothing for days at a time.I've recently had trouble with the windows, rear spoiler and speakers;all sorted with a bit of shoogling, switching on and off etc.

Today I thought I'd take it for a blow as it's finally stopped snowing and the sun's actually come out.Now the wipers only go at one speed( not very quickly either) no matter which position the stalk is.As they are working at all, I'm assuming that the motor's ok and maybe there's a relay or resistor I should be looking at.Am I right?

I've also got the single speed heater fan problem but I've bought the bit from Maplins and am waiting for better weather/lighter nights to sort that.

Cheers Alan.

I would suspect the motor is dying or more the case the wiper spindles are sized from standing,pull off the linkage from the motor,move the wiper arms by hand...are they free? Set the motor away without the wiper linkages attached....does the motor vary in speed when switched from slow to fast?

That's a distinct possibility.They do seem to be going slower than when set at slow speed previously.In fact,it's all coming back to me now;when I first switched them on last week, they wouldn't move at all.I thought the fuse had blown.Am I going to be able to free them with a liberal application of WD40?

That's a distinct possibility.They do seem to be going slower than when set at slow speed previously.In fact,it's all coming back to me now;when I first switched them on last week, they wouldn't move at all.I thought the fuse had blown.Am I going to be able to free them with a liberal application of WD40?

Im sure they will become free with more and more wd40 :)

It'll be the wiper relay which helps control the intermittent wipe function causing the single speed wipe. I don't recall which relay it is (do a search.. should turn something up) but I did have this on my previous Corrado. I was lucky enough that just pulling / cleaning contacts / reseating the relay fixed it... but I can't imagine a new one (if that doesn't fix it) costs too much.

It's a double depth relay so the most likely one to slip out...

As Jim says it's worth re-seating everything in the fuse box to clean the contacts.

I'll certainly check that out.It'll be a result if I don't have to spend anything.

On a different topic;I recently had a stainless exhaust fitted( courtesy of a friend who didn't like the look of it on his) and the car's never run right since.Could this be a coincidence? I thought.Or was it a case of standing again.Anyway while I was fiddling about under the bonnet I got a kick off the disributor cap.That can't be right.To cut a long story short;I bought a new cap,rotor arm and plugs and the car now goes like a stabbed rat( so long as it's not raining!)