Kevin Bacon

Tie rod flip kit

No sorry - still not fitted them as my geometry is perfect at the moment...

TBH - if they are fouling the chassis then the car must be way too low - why ruin one of the best FWD handling cars of the 90's by slamming it too the ground!

I think the VR BJs attach to the wishones differently and are also bigger, IIRC....

It's been ages since I've looked at 4cyl running gear...

I do prefer that method of restoring the tie rod - WB angle personally, but I have seen a few cars using the inverted tie rod method from the factory, such as Evos etc, so it must work :D

I had a very quick chat with Ian at Mark Tempest Auto's in Welwyn Garden City, and he was telling me about using the plate from an old bbj to use as a spacer in the slot of the wishbone then put the new bbj on top of the wishbone with the three bolt plate at the bottom to help lower the wishbone on uber lowered cars. He also mentioned about swapping left/right tre because they were kinked at the end, he claimed that this would reduce understeer. They Race tune C's allegedly, but i dont have enough knowledge to doubt him or agree...........

Also has anyone tried a male/female (connected) rose joint for the drop links on the ARB.? ....................

This is the next thing on my list I think, flip the tie rod's and figure out a way of extending the BJ's a similar amount.

Thinking of the BJ's, surely some form of extenders for the VR6 (plus) BJ's would be easy enough for some fabrication company to knock up? It would just need to be a tube with thread tapped in the bottom for the BJ to screw in to and then a threaded top to connect to the hub?? I'm sure we would get a fair bit of interest on here for some to make it worth the company's time/effort!

Kev, just thinking it might be worth talking with Geoff about this as it may be piss easy to do by someone he knows?? :shrug:

Something like this:

Would that not increase the leverage on the BJ and therefore wear it out quicker? :shrug:

I like the sound of Daleyboy's idea... not sure it would gain you much though?

That's the kinda fabbing work I did on my placement. Looks like it would be a bit of lathing to length, then milling at 60deg angles on a rotating bed to get the hex section, and then a simple thread done on a lathe (if you're pro) or with a tap/die set (if you're not!). Maybe 30-60mins work each I'd estimate :confused4:

Otherwise, these boys might have a pre-made kit:

0000028392_350.jpg

Seriously though, I've just been messing about in CAD and came up with these. Pretty similar to what Kev/Herisites posted up:

flipkit1.jpg

flipkit2.jpg

flipkit3.jpg

flipkit4.jpg

I included the waisted section as I know the Mk2 style / 16v hubs have that nasty bolt which pins the LBJ in place to stop it popping out. Not sure if you need it on VR hubs though.

I'd be happy to make up some 2d orthographic drawings to scale if anyone has done the suspension geometry maths, and know what length etc they need to be and what would be a useful hex diameter (for a spanner etc). I can then save them in PDF and email them about :salute:

Edit: i've left the screw thread out of the mock up but that can be modelled too if needed. I can also do stress analysis on them if I know the metal :dorky:

Very interesting thread. Got all excited about the ball joint exenders untill I found my Lupo GTI uses the same design of ball joint as the VR6 :(

Oh well, I'm sure flipping the track rods over will work on a Lupo :) So thats something.

Just need somebody to make the threaded extenders for the BJ's... Are they held in on a taper?

PMSL, cheers Monkey :D

Thing is with this though, MikkiJayne is right, we need to realign the wishbone aswell as the Tie Rod. Flip reversin...blazing squad Stylee...innit.... in't gonna be enough, like, on it's own and schitt. Respec.

A very kind gentleman contacted me with a suggestion. And that is to fit 'drop spindles' from the MK4 platform. http://www.h2sport.com/products.php?productid=295

It's a new bearing housing casting with lowered BJ and tie rod mounting points. The strut stays the same, thereby lowering the WB and TR. Neat.

Apparently this company are making them for a MK5 next, and then will be looking at the MK3 platform, so if we're patient, a solution or 2 might be forthcoming.

I seem to remember a chap on here fitting S3 uprights to his Corrado and he found a big reduction in bump steer. I'll have to do some searching and schitt and come up with a bustin scheme like, know what I mean?

A very kind gentleman contacted me with a suggestion. And that is to fit 'drop spindles' from the MK4 platform. http://www.h2sport.com/products.php?productid=295

It's a new bearing housing casting with lowered BJ and tie rod mounting points. The strut stays the same, thereby lowering the WB and TR. Neat.

Apparently this company are making them for a MK5 next, and then will be looking at the MK3 platform, so if we're patient, a solution or 2 might be forthcoming.

Yeah but with a ridiculous price to come with it! If it's just a case of lowering the BJ and TRE the same amount then I'm sure it wouldn't take much working out to come up with the measurements to drop each by and then make up something for a LOT less!

For example, using the ~£20 tie rod flip kit to flip the TRE's, measure how much they lower the TRE's by and then use that measurement for lowering the BJ's the same. Surely that's all that's needed to be done, or am I being thick?

I seem to remember a chap on here fitting S3 uprights to his Corrado and he found a big reduction in bump steer. I'll have to do some searching and schitt and come up with a bustin scheme like, know what I mean?

Yeah he did, but IIRC his front wheels with only 16's on were rubbing the front of the arch (front bumper).

Flip reversin...blazing squad Stylee...

That is probably the best thing about this thread.

Edit. Probably the best thing about the internet.

just been looking at doing a BJ extension to mine, the design that herisites came up looks very simple to implement. Only thought I had was it would need a through hole to allow for an allen key to pass through and hold the BJ while troqued together. Would this still extender be strong enough to cope with the loads etc? One possible adaption is to make the hex bar bigger and have a hole tangent to the thread in the extender which would be used as a pilot hole /guide for a drill bit to cut slightly into the ball joint and then allow a bolt through to lock the BJ to the extender ie like the non vr6 setup. thoughts please??

Otherwise, is there a kit in existance to extend the BJ on vr6 BJ's?

Edited by quicky1980