Sign in to follow this  
Erny

Valver died??

Drivin down the m1 the othernight my engine just died, popped the bonnet to find smoke coming from the airbox, any ideas gents? Now the car turns over but will not start. I'll get it in the garage tomorrow, I'll check all the obvious engine faults, but I'm alittle unsure how to check if it could be a fueling/metering head fault. I've a spare engine that I can swap in but don't wanna waste time putting a more tired engine in if the fault could be elsewere. Does anyone have any suggestions, point me in any useful directions.

Know nothing about the 16v motors (so this may not be possible on them), but have you looked at your air filter/plugs?

Sounds like you could have a blocked crankcase breather, worst case, engine pressurises and blows oil into the air intake and oils the plugs. You'll know if air filter oiled and/or plugs.

Turns out my freshly port n polished filly re-coned head decided to drop a valve, I'm guessing a collet not quite clicked in place, managed to put a hole in the 4th piston, and ruin pistons 2 n 3, my re-honed bores survived, so the block is salvageable, the head is scrap, I'm gutted, few days wasted puttin in the new engine, drive around Babyin it stayin below 3000revs and then puttin the old engine back in, nuff money wasted, how I never heard it go is beyon me, I've not even got a stereo in the car, moral of the story, if it ain't broke don't fix it, as gutted as I am, I've still had a goodtime with me mates int garage this last 2weeks