Sign in to follow this  
A5 VRX

Engine cutting out?

Last weekend i took the battery off the VR6 to start my womans 205, after a couple of tries the pug wouldn't start so battery went back in the VR and all went well until i dipped my clutch the revs dropped and the engine died, this didn't happen straight away as it was after a 50 mile journey? It's happened about 4 times since then at random times, any ideas, weak batery now?

Ta

Adam

its been covered fairly extensively - the search will help. In summary though the main things are, cleaning out the ISV, MAF, throttle body, adjusting the throttle dashpot (free ones). Then to buy: ecu relay, fuel pump relay, crank sensor (pricey!). HTH

Cheers buddy, i just have sod all luck! Have the 'free' ones been known to fix the problem?

Thanks

AJ

Just had a quick look under the bonnet and the HT leads have seen ALOT better days, could it be related? They are pretty cracked and worn!

Cheers buddy, i just have sod all luck! Have the 'free' ones been known to fix the problem?

Thanks

AJ

Yes, very much so. As most of our cars have significant mileage now these steps are usually quite helpful. There could be other issues like the coilpack breaking down (via cracks and water ingress) and of course the leads as you have already seen. Usually the cutting out with dipping the clutch may just be the throttle body and ISV. Try them first and see how you get on. If nothing, you will have carried out a useful and often neglected part of the service.

Well well, i had the dreaded 'cutting out when dipping the clutch' issue yesterday evening, first time since the auto to manual swop. Looks like my ISV etc will be whipped out and recleaned this weekend. Lets see if it solves it.

BTW, is there any way to check the fuel pump performance?

Now i'm a regular victim! Since installing the Powerchip, my car still hasnt adjusted to it, that was about 300 miles ago and still cuts out when dipping the clutch. I usually keep the car in gear, until i'm almost at teh junction and then dip the clutch. But its not ideal. VAGCOM doesnt show any errors, everything has been cleaned up, sensors are fairly new and i've done the thing i didnt want to and thats pushing the dashpot up quite high. even this hasnt helped. The power delivery is much nicer but its frustrating having to drive the car 'on eggshells'. any other new suggestions? maybe time for OBD2...

Last weekend i took the battery off the VR6 to start my womans 205, after a couple of tries the pug wouldn't start so battery went back in the VR and all went well until i dipped my clutch the revs dropped and the engine died, this didn't happen straight away as it was after a 50 mile journey? It's happened about 4 times since then at random times, any ideas, weak battery now?

Ta

Adam

If your VR6 was running OK before the battery came off, then you have lost the harmonisation between the throttle and the engine ECU. So the ECU has reverted to a secondary mode and doesn't quite know where idle is with the throttle.

You will need VCDS diagnositcs connected to perform "Basic Settings" as detailed in Knowledge base here - VR6 ECU Setup Procedures. The drive won't be necessary as the driving already done will have done that. Just needs the engine thoroughly warmed up, say 20 minutes, then plug in and put it into Basic Settings on Goup 000 or 001 depending on ECU as indicated, blip the throttle to 2,500 - 3,000 rpm for 3 seconds and then leave to idle for 2 minutes plus. Then exit Basic Settings when the rad fan isn't running. Job done.

No point as I wrote in K.B. of only doing the first half. The problem you have will be solved in the second stage of the procedure using VCDS in Basic Settings mode. This aligns the throttle.

If it still gives you trouble stalling as described, then carry out the full ECU set-up procedure.

obvious really - should have thought of that :roll: . Thanks again RW1 :clap: , good to see you're back on here again!