Sign in to follow this  
shuttlepants

1991 2.0 16 Big Puddle messed my day (and Rado) right up!!

Hey people,

bloody weather, thought i'd managed to get through the bad weather without any problems... a couple of 180's in the snow and no bumps... and then the rain,

i went through a big 'puddle', slowly, obviously not slow enough!- 100 meters later, kaput, she lost power and started spluttering, engine kept running if i put my foot down in neutral, but died on idle, starts again and repeats. left it for a couple of hours and doesnt really start, tho its trying. air filter is dry and fuel's getting the the distribution thingy.

anyone have any ideas? my guess is, it has something to do with the rain.

i hate 'smileys' - but my face looks like a smacked arse right now!!

hope winters going alright for everyone else!

cheers,

This is exactly like what happened to me in my 2.0 16v after I gingerly went through a rather large puddle - promptly conked out half a mile down the road.

If you're lucky you can get it to idle with your foot to the floor but it won't idle by itself. I'm convinced I somehow got some water into the fuel system... possibly sucked in through the fuel tank breather. To cure it, Tempest worked out that there were two connectors to disconnect to disable the lambda system on the 9A engine - one down by the metering head, and one actually on the downpipe at the back of the engine. We removed those and I stuck some fuel additive into the car called 'Dry Fuel' (get it from halfords) which is designed to absorb / change the compound of water into something the car can burn. With the Dry Fuel in and the lambda disconnected, the car would start and idle roughly by itself.. we left it idling for a while and eventually it seemed to get through whatever was in the tank and began to run ok again. Stopped the car, reconnected the electrical connectors... and bob was my uncle.

It's been fine ever since!

Same as Jim /\ Same happened to me on the way to a Stealth RR a couple of years ago :( Someone suggested unplugging the sensor on the left of the metering head. I drove it home with it unplugged (horrid to drive!), but the engine heat over the 1hr 30 min drive did the trick. I plugged the sensor back in once home, and the car was fine again :cheers:

i need to get myself a manual so i know whats going on!

I dont suppose you know of a pic with labels so i know what part's what? lame!

will sort myself out!