Sign in to follow this  
TimVR

VR oil consumption - a theory?

Hi all,

my VR is one of the more thirsty ones re the above....however, since putting in some engine cleaner (via the petrol tank), it appears to have got much better - I've gone 300 miles since the last top up and the level hasn't moved. It would usually have been noticeable by now (although not even half way down the hatch markings)

Could it be that the engine was so crudded up before treatment that valves/rings etc weren't sealing properly and oil was being burnt?

Any opinions greatfully received!!

Cheers,

Tim

Ironically it's usually the other way around - the cleaner removes the deposits that happen to be the only thing plugging up all the gaps...

It's a possible theory, but the biggest influence on oil consumption is the type of driving you do, in my experience.

since putting in some engine cleaner I've gone 300 miles since the last top up and the level hasn't moved

Two possibles

1. Your O2 sensor was covered in rubbish and the detergent (which holds beyond normal engine combustion temperature), washed your catalyst. If so, you are dead lucky that your catalyst is still holding, as it doesnt like such poisons...I'd avoid doing it again.

2. You have a really common VR6 problem - a sticking valve. The most common source of VR6 oil leaks is not piston rings at first - its the valves. If your engine used to have a hangover after a hot run, and felt rough in the morning, thats the valves.