jacko

ABF Conversion

Alright guys, i just need a bit of info.

This weekend i am fitting a 2 litre ABF lump to my 91reg 1.8 16v raddo but i need to ask a few questions before i go ahead with it.

I bought an engine with all the ancilieries and loom with 70k miles on it.

I am quite mechanicly minded and have almost all the tools i will require to do it and i have a mate who works for jag to come help me too.

Questions i have are....

what parts can i use from the ABF lump? what sensors are diffrent and have to be changed for my originals? can i use the dizzy from the ABF as it looks very diffrent from my orgianal. Theres probably a thousand more questions to ask but i will post them as i think of them.

Idealy id like to use as much as i can from the ABF as its all newer and has dont a quater of the milege of my engine.

Sorry for sounding quite thick but i havent done an engine conversion before!

any suggesgions would be great - i know there are some very very clever people on this forum!

Thanks

Pete

I did the same thing to mine - but I kept the K-Ket fuel injection.

I used the AFB oil cooler housing and flywheel - everything else was taken off the KR engine - inlet manifold, exhaust manifold and all the sensors, water pumps etc.

I think if you are using the loom you will need to the ABF loom.

will the inlet manifold from the ABF not work then?

I have the loom for the ABF but no idea how to splice it into the old loom

yeah i stumbled across that a week or so ago. very handy!

I was wondering what will work if i leave it on the ABF as i have every thing from under a bonnet and my corrado has done nearly 200k

Well the main question is are you planning to keep the ABF's motronic, or use the car's K-jet?

If you got the complete motronic loom with ECU, immobiliser box and key then I'd say swap the whole lot over. Its CE2 so will just about plug straight in to the Corrado fusebox (with a few tweaks). All you need to do is put the ABF and KR engine looms side by side and strip out everything from the ABF loom that isn't needed (like lights, etc). (the corrado has two looms under the bonnet, the mk3 only has one)

If you didn't get all the electronics then you will have to swap over the K-Jet like antinkariba said. Take the manifolds, pumps, sensors, brackets, etc off the KR and just swap the short engine over. The ABF inlet is very different to the KR since it has electronic injectors.

Hth :)

ahhh good stuff. im keeping the K-jet injection system so i guess i will be keeping the old inlet from my old 1.8.

Thanks very much!!!

No probs :)

Did you get all the electronics for the ABF btw? Its worth a few quid as a conversion, even without the engine itself. The manifold and throttle body are useful for Megasquirt too.

i got a loom, ecu and the engine with all the ancilieries attached. i just bought it as im getting desporate for a car!

right, the engine is in, every thing attached, all fuilds in there but when i turn the key the starter engages to the flywheel but it dosnt turn.

I have 1 loose wire. its a blue and white 1. my mechanic mate thinks its the flywheel position sensor.

heres a pic...

IMG_0110.jpg

thanks for your help

did u stick with all the k-jet management and not the abf? ive swapped two 9as on kr management in the last 2 weeks and cant think for the life of me think were that wire goes. ill pop the bonnet on my car later today and have a good look around for it. did u take note of what wires went were or just pop em off and leave it to memory?

i stuck with the K-jet injection system.

and i had a couple of mates help me rip every thing out so i may of missed where that wire went and for some reaqson i trused my memory :(

If you could have a look that would be awesome

thanks mate

I think the blue and white is just an unused cable in the loom, intended to run as the signal feed from a variable pressure sensor to an oil pressure gauge. (that's on a KR loom)

you should find the other end unattached behind the fusebox/dash somewhere

ok, thanks,

i have tried every thing to get it working but it still sounds like the starter is trying to turn over the engine but its not having any of it. its not seazed as i had it turning when i was doing the cam belt to check i did it correctly.

I have called the AA out now... see what they find!

well it's def not a flywheel pos sensor KR doesn't have one

without looking at mine (it's at home) there are several single wires near the distributor

oil temp sensor on the back of head

3 water temp sensors (identical) around the head water outlet flange

none of these will stop it starting/firing

The AA turned up said they want nothing to do with it as it has been converted. be he still had a look and found cylinder 1 full of petrol.

Just cleared the system and putting the plugs back in now. hopefully it will work!!

i had a quick look at the wiring for for, as david said that shouldnt stop the car from starting as it is only a wire from a sender and krs dont have flywheel position sensors, again as david says i have the what looks like the same wire tucked up doin nothing down by the oil pressusre senders, mine looks like it was zip tied back at he factory. yours in the picture appears to be by the dizzy so when i looked around there there was a slighty similar lookin wire goin to the top right of the 3 water senders by the coolant flange, bear in mind i was lookin in the dark with a mobile phone for light, as for the AA dont tell em its been converted in the future, they would never know any other way. good luck anyways pal hope it works out for ya,

Thanks for looking and letting me know. The aa worent much help in the end but I did get it started! It ended up firing up and running last note. Just a couple of things left to do now like the exhasut manifold and bleeding tje clutch and she will be back on the road!

Thanks for all your help, I couldn't of done it without you!

good to hear mate, first few weeks of that in the car are gunna be fun, just remember your sumps alittle closer to the ground now haha. have you had any problems closing the bonnet yet? was it fine or did you trim the rear engine mount down alittle?

So... today i took the Corrado to the MOT station as the last MOT expired before xmas.

I was dreading it as i just knew they were going to fail it on some thing because id done the conversion on it.

It did fail but only on suspension bushes and steering rack gaiter.

not bad news at all!! Im quite impressd that a moron like me can change an engine in a weekend with no experiance at all!

Shame it was failled on the steering rack gaitor seen as you didn't have an engine in the way of it last week,

yeah its a right pain in the arse! its booked in for the weekend and the re-test is on monday so hopefully all is well