Sign in to follow this  
pebisit

Light 5 spokes???

Guys, a bit of advice, Im looking at a set of wheels for my Storm

The criteria for htme is:

1) Easy to clean - no room for show wheels on my car, cant be ....

2) Must be light - handling is all and everything

3) Looks come second - would like something classically styled, but that usually involves lots of spokes which are hard to clean, so I guess it'll be a 5 spoker of some sort

Anyhow, any ideas very welcome, and while we're at it, what is the optimum size for Rado wheels, its currently on some 17 BBS reps., but I'll go down to 16 or even 15 if it'll handle better. My old 16v (which I had 13 years ago) ran on 15's and seemed to handle better than my Storm (though that may be down to the G Max coilovers on my current car)

Cheers

Phil

I prefer 17s. I find the shallower side wall gives a much crisper turn-in, especially when giving it some round the bends. Corrados also look a damn site better on 17s than they do 15s, all in my opinion of course :D

In terms of weight, I've weighed a standard 15" + tyre combo at 16Kg and my old ProRace 7x17 + tyre combo weighed 15.4kg so going up in size doesn't always add weight. In this example, it reduced it :D

The standard 15" Speedline weighs 7.5Kg for reference and if you want to drop down to a 15", the Rota SlipStream weighs 6.5Kg IIRC and is 5 spoke.

7.5-8Kg is a good weight for a 7x17 and Continental Sport contact tyres seem to noticably lighter than others I've used.