Sign in to follow this  
Redrado93

Rear bearing tension? + Handbrake issues!

Hi all.

I replaced my rear disks and pads yesterday, and having found the preload nut seemingly quite lose initially (literally only finger tight). I'm wondering if this is actually the correct kind of set up or should they have been tighter? I know they are only preload nuts but still, don't want a saggy bearing if I can help it... I did them up a bit tighter (very light pressure with nosey pliers) but am now a bit paranoid as to whether they will overheat!

Also, my handbrake is basically not functioning! The pistons seemed to be seized before hand but I managed to free them up using a G-Clamp to push them back in, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. I am aware that most corrado handbrakes barely pass the MOT, but I'm pretty sure this won't even manage that...And the MOT is due in 2 weeks :S.

Any tips/advice on this? Will simply adjusting the cable solve this?

Thanks in advance for all your input :)

Chris

the rear caliper pistons need to be wound back, not pressed back like the fronts - hope there's no damage to yours now :( Did you dismantle and lube up the brakes before reassembly?

The rear wheel bearings need to be literally only just finger tight. The VW manual states that it should be possible to move the flat washer beneath the nut with just sideways pressure from a screwdriver without any levering of any kind. It seems a weird way to do it, but it works. It should be noted that if you fit anything other than genuine VW bearings they won't last very long. I went through 3 sets of GSF bearings on a previous VW (Polo GT - same bearings) in about 4k miles before fitting genuine VW ones and forgetting about them.

Hope that helps

Tom

Oh, crap!!

So they literally just need to be turned clockwise to go back? What tool would you use for this? They did rotate a bit, but not all that much... Hope they are ok!

I dismounted them to an extent, as you have to in order to get the disk off. Then re-greased all threads I could see. Why?

I feel like a right idiot now. Really hope I haven't knackard anything.

I pressed the old bearing cups into the new, they have been fine for the time I've had the car so...

Thanks for your replies guys, appreciate it.

Chris

Ok so having done a search, what I needed was a piston windback tool. Doesn't really help now, especially if I've buggered it up but isn't hindsight a lovely thing to dwell on...

Anyway, if they went back, with some clockwise turning, (which there was) is there a chance they are ok??? How do I check?

I will re assess the wheel bearings tomorrow evening with that handy little screwdriver test. Thanks.

Chris